• In the Spotlight:

My son is 1 and has not said his first word

Is this concerning to anyone else?? he is not yet 1 but he will be in 2 weeks - and he'll babble but not out of control babble - he knows what tons of things are - he's just not saying anything and I am concerned...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah, that's what I was thinking too - hes only one on one all day long - he's with my husband who caters to him, then 3 days with my mom, then 1 day with his other grandma- so it's all 1 on 1 and I am the only one who doesn't pick him up all the time or bring him what he wants from a moan.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ok, my son is two and he says short words that can be easily said "sissy" "hi" and whatnot, i really dont count them as words as its kind of easy to say them. my inlaw pointed out to me one day that my son doesnt say much for words cause everyone does it for him as he points things out and doesnt expect him to say it. she had a good point!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It's not a concern. Sure, there may be a kid his age in your playgroup who is saying a few words. And there may be a kid who isn't even babbling. You will get tired of hearing this but it gets even more true during the next 4 years - every child is different and develops different skills at a different pace.

Your son can hear and understand. The babbling will begin to a turn into a few words in the coming months. Remember that the "word" doesn't have to sound right to be a word. "Balloon" could come out "ba", "oon", or even "dee". All that matters is he makes the same sound to mean the same thing and that you come to understand what he means. Correct pronunciation will come in the following YEARS.
    His doctor will be looking for 10 words by the time he is 18 months. I know it seems like he won't have any by then - he will! An "explosion" is just around the corner.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thank you!! that does help- I know he's smart - his natural personality is stubborn so I know he's probably sitting in his crib talking away..lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• All children are different and learn at different paces so I wouldn't put too much thought in2 it. I'm sure he'll be fine.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• As long as he is babbling I would not worry, just remember to keep reading to him and keep talking to him!
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Out of all 5 of my kids, the ones I read to more seemed to have more to say early on. However, I had one daughter who was singing and spilling out 4-5 word sentences by 13 months and a son who didn't say much of anything until after 2. Some are more active and simply less talkative. All of mine hit their milestones on time and at very different times. It will be okay Mommy, and like what one of the other Mom said, What they call it may not be the true word for it but, if its repeated and always used for that certain thing ( ie Guk instead of Milk ) it is a word.
    Galadriel1976

Answer by Galadriel1976 at 6:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I think its fine for right now. My nephew just turned 2 and he only has a 5 word vocabulary. Although, in his defense, he also just had surgery removing his adenoids, his tonsils and tubes put in his ears. THis should help. If it continues to concern you, try a speach therapist.
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 11:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008