Do you agree with this statement, and if so why?

" people have lost the ability to disagree calmly, in a mature manner. Like adults. Anyone who says the ugliest, most inappropriate, most asinine things 'wins' — the airwaves, the attention, the illusion of power. It's like we've turned into a country of 13-year-olds."

I'm thinking it pretty much sums it all up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This statement has nothing to do with Cafemom

But that doesn't change my point - intelligent and calm debate goes on all the time. People ignore it because they don't really care about the debate, they want to see the eyes getting scratched out and the steel chairs flying around, whether it's here, on tv or at Thanksgiving dinner.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If your referring to online than its "the speak without fear of repercussions" your talking about here.

In real life, not so sure. Maybe they know you can't strike them without going to jail so they feel more confident to speak their minds in some cases.

Today's word does lack common courtesy and sensitivity for their fellow human beings. I'm glad I won't be around to see how bad it gets.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The majority of my opinions are conservative, but the behavior and attitude of the right wing pundits are embarrassing.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:06 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• people have lost the ability to disagree calmly, in a mature manner.

Wrong. People disagree calmly and in a mature manner all the time, including right here on CM. Those questions don't get nearly as many responses and tend to deal with real issues like policy concerns and not fanatical hot button issues like racism and religious bias. It's been a complaint as long as this section has existed. The serious topics never get as much attention, but they do exist, and they do contain disagreements. People are more ENTERTAINED by the screaming and shouting and catfighting. That's why those questions get the most bumps and votes and answers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. That's sure what it feels like right now.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• ya, i totally agree!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• for many people, and some of them are on here, yes
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You are correct. That's probably the truest statement I have seen today and I've only been on here for a few minutes.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree! why? all you have to do is pend a day in this section and you will have your answer!

Answer by older at 11:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2010