Leave your disabled loved ones at homeless shelters?

INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana's budget crunch has become so severe that some state workers have suggested leaving severely disabled people at homeless shelters if they can't be cared for at home, parents and advocates said.

They said workers at Indiana's Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services have told parents that's one option they have when families can no longer care for children at home and haven't received Medicaid waivers that pay for services that support disabled people living independently.

Marcus Barlow, a spokesman for the Family and Social Services Administration, the umbrella agency that includes the bureau, said suggesting homeless shelters is not the agency's policy and workers who did so would be disciplined.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:19 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would never do this to any of my loved ones, even if I had to do the unthinkable to keep them at home with me.

Answer by older at 11:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wait, there are no confirmed cases that it's ever happened, and the social worker who suggested it is being disciplined. Why is this news? Or rather, why is this a news about budget shorftalls and not news about a bad social worker being disciplined?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't ever do that. I think that is pretty crappy to even suggest that an a valid option.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I saw this in the news yesterday (NW Indiana) and I was appalled that the state would even recommend doing this. Just because they have issues, does not mean that they are not people.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• When my boss was younger and pregnant, her husband lost his job. She tried to get medicaid and the social worker flat out told her to divorce her husband and hide him if anyone showed up poking around. Just because there are shady social workerS doesn't mean they represent what the state wants or even act in response to conditions. When this happened to my boss it was mid 80's, booming economy, Yuppies coming out your ears. But it was a nice, easy way for the social worker to be "helpful" and get out of filling out any more paperwork.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_disabled_homeless_shelters

would you do this???

It's heart-wrenching as a parent to watch it. We are people and they are people," Holladay said, referring to her son and others with disabilities. "They have lives that are worth something."

There have been no confirmed cases of families dumping severely disabled people at homeless shelters because Indiana wouldn't provide the care needed.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Very sad! I can't imagine being told that as an option!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• They said workers at Indiana's Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services have told parents that's one option they have when families can no longer care for children at home and haven't received Medicaid waivers that pay for services that support disabled people living independently.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• She tried to get medicaid and the social worker flat out told her to divorce her husband and hide him if anyone showed up poking around

I know someone who was told something similiar! that is just horrible

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• These are tough times and some have to go to desparate measures to survive. My hope is prosperous times will return so those in deepest need have safety nets.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010