What do you think about speech assessment for 2 y/0?

Hi there!
My first post ladies! My lil guy just turned 2 y/o on 10/22/10. He can keep up with with the 4 and 5 y/0 at the park, takes on the highest, longest slides, and has been walking since 9 months old. His cognitive comprehension is impressive, I can ask him to go in his room and bring his gray sneakers to me, and he would. BUT...he isn't speaking on the terms acceptable by the "standards." He can say "ball, mama, dada, lelo (hello)" and few other choice words. When he sees a cow, he'll say "moo," a cat, "meow," etc. BUT...he won't SAY cow, cat, etc. Nor will he repeat what I say, ex) If he wants his cup, I ask him to say "please" he'll hum my tone instead, not even trying to pronounce please. Sigh. His pediatrician isn't concerned, in fact, she said boys tend to lag behind girls in language skills, but I requested a speech assessment for him anyway. Any advice on this new chapter I'm turning? Ty ever much!

Jam0418

Asked by Jam0418 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Having the speech assessment will put your mind at ease, so it's not a bad thing at all! Follow your instincts, I think that moms know more than doctors do about their own children. Best of luck to you, I bet everything is fine :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ya know, I think everybody has different views on when a child should talk. My daughter started talking really early, but didn't walk till 13 months. My sister had a little boy in her daycare, that didn't talk till he was over 3 (he went to classes too). It sounds to me like you have a very smart little boy :) Also, I give you props for actually taking the step yourself. Some people don't..and wonder what's wrong. :) Like Scuba said-Mom knows best!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It isn't necessarily necessary but if you want to it's your choice! My son took speech therapy but it didn't make much difference. If your child doesn't want to talk he isn't going to talk. Mine is just over 3 now and there are certain words he STILL refuses to say. On the other hand, he'll say things and I go "Where in the world did you get that?!!!". He'll talk when he wants to. Good luck to you know matter what you decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Having him tested will mean you either find out he does need help and you get it, or he's right where he should be and you have no reason to worry. Either way it will put your mind at ease. I had my son tested at 2, and he ended up only testing one month behind on speech at that time; on most everything else he tested at the 3 year level or above. I had thought he was much further behind than he actually was because I was comparing him to his twin sister who was actually pretty far ahead on speech development. Even though my son didn't technically qualify for speech, the therapist was willing to give him an atypical qualification since his speech development was out of line with his development in other areas. I do believe he has benefited from speech therapy, and I feel pretty sure he will be right where he needs to be before he starts to kindergarten.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I could have written your post word for word! Except my son didn't walk until 10 months, which immediately turned to running. He has always been very advanced physically (even in my belly, lol). At 2, he wasn't speaking near as much as my daughter was at his age. I wasn't overly concerned because he's a smart guy, but his doctor recommended an evaluation, which of course scared me to death. He did the same as your son, calling animals by the sounds like make and refusing to say the animal name and had a limited vocabulary ... So, we had the evaluation done and they said that while he was behind in speech (although still in normal range), he excelled everywhere else. They gave me some exercises to do with him to help him along and said if we don't see a big change in 6 months to have him rechecked... while we saw great improvement, his preschool did not so we had him checked again....cont....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The evaluaters weren't here 5 minutes before they looked at eachother and then at me and said that he was absolutely FINE. Phew! I think he was a little shy speaking in preschool.... Now, fast forward to today, he's 3 1/2 and I literally can not get him to shut up. I'm glad I had him tested, it set my mind at ease and gave me some good ideas to help him along, and heck, it was free! Also, if there HAD been something wrong, I would have wanted to get him some speech therapy asap anyway, so its a good thing to get tested I think. If it helps you in the meantime, the evaluaters told us to read to him alot and to do things like when he would point and say "Truck!" we would extend that and say "Yes, a big red truck!" kinda thing. Also to hold an object by our face, let's say a ball, and say "BALL" exaggerated, that way he can see the way your mouth moves to say the word and sees the object at the same time. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would reccomend looking online first for a tool called the nippising develpment chart. Find one for age 2 years answer the questions based on your son. If you are still concerned about his language development than book an appointment for a speech and language assessment. I think its never to early to have it checked and if their is a delay the sooner you get it on the radair the sooner you can start therapy. And he will be more ready for school.
    misskate27

Answer by misskate27 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You know your son best. If you think he needs it do it. It never hurts to see :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thanks, Scuba. Reading these books and profiling where your kid should be like he's a template is driving me nuts! LOL! It feels like I'm pregnant again and every symptom must mean a catastrophic congenital deformity!
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Chell.o 0, I thank you. He's never had any issues with his milestones, check marks all the way down, until this talking business. We'll see what happens...if he'll sit long enough for the assessment! LOL
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2010