What Do You Think About This?

The other day I took my 9-year-old son shopping for shoes and out to lunch, just a nice little Mother/Son bonding time. He chose to eat at McDonald's because he's got a thing about eating one of every cheeseburger ever made, and he ordered the next one on his list, a Double Quarter Pounder. While we were eating, two mothers came up to us to castigate me for buying him such a large cheeseburger. I was stunned into silence, but my son spoke up and explained his little project and stated that we don't eat fast food very often and "It's not like I'm overweight!" The mothers in question were what you'd have to call Pushing Maximum Density, and they got angry because they thought he was insulting them when he was just trying to explain. The whole encounter upset my son greatly because he didn't mean any harm in any way.
What's your opinion?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 11:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Those ladies needed to mind their own damned business.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wow! Those women would have had to surgically remove my feet from their asses when I was through with them! The nerve of some frickin' people!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wow...way to go for your son!!!! Those women should have stayed out of it. It is none of their business what YOUR child is eating.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If they felt insulted by your son, it is in my opinion that they deserved it. It was not in their place to say anything in the first place. I feel bad for your son though because he shouldn't have to be upset because of someone else's ignorance.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm quite surprised any one would have the nerve to comment on somebody else's lunch at all. Hopefully you can explain that there are some very stupid people in the world to your son.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• They should mind their own business, first of all. Nobody knows anyone else's situation and it might be natural to judge, but we don't have to throw our ignorance in other's faces. That's a choice to make and those ladies chose to make the wrong choice. I agree that if they felt insulted by your son's explination, then they hopefully learned to not stick their nose where it doesn't belong. Your son has every right to eat as big of a meal as he so chooses, project or not. If your son is healthy and active then his meal size shouldn't matter. Personally, I would have said something, but your son did the right thing by explaining it politely. I think they were more offended by his "It's not like I'm overweight", because they were overweight and eating there as well. They might've been speaking from experience, but either way they shouldn't minded their own business.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I say that sweet little man was taking up for his momma....and you should let him know that was a great job and his intentions were good. and obviously these women do not know how to hold there tongue.... that was totally uncalled for but he was a MAN about the situation...Great job little dude...Great job!!!
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• those women were out of line. as long as your son spoke with an appropriate tone, then i think you should tell him that he chose his words well, and you are proud of him.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Those women were rude and out of line. I think your son was being very sweet and sincere in his explanation. It's really cool that your son was able to express himself like that and that he knows fast food is okay in moderation. The whole encounter reflects really well on you as a parent - good going!
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 12:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• great kid! And who careswhat he eats? He got a treat and those women are cruel.....tell your son I say thumbs up!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010