This makes me extremely nervous!

My 15 month old son last night kept sticking his fingers down his throat I would pull his hands out of his mouth and tell him no, well when I got up to take some stuff into the kitchen, he did it to the point it made him throw up. This concerns me, is this something children go through like a phase and if your child did it how did you break him or her of doing it

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 2:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just ignore him and he'll stop. He feeds off of the attention he gets from doing it. Its normal for kids to do weird things like that lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yeah its normal. Mine did it at that age, and made herself gag. Just don't make too much of a reaction to it. When you see him doing it, distract him with a toy or by playing a little game or something to take his mind off of it. He might be cutting more teeth and want something to chew on. Maybe get him a cooling teether or give him a sugar free popsicle.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Aww thanks it makes me feel better knowing that this is just a phase that he is going through, my 1st thought last night was maybe he had an upset tummy or something, but I was pulling his hands out of his mouth left and right last night!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My daughter (almost 2) used to do this frequently. They do stop, after awhile, because they find something else that's just as interesting. Right now, my daughter likes to get a hold of pens and mark herself up all over (she's managed to get her back). It's a phase and will pass.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Mine has done that a couple of times. Just tell them no and they will cut it out. Mine gives me a little smerk like he knows he is doing wrong. Then he teases me and puts them back in and back out again and giggles.
    mamma2bubba

Answer by mamma2bubba at 3:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Mine did it too. Eventually she decided it didn't feel good and she stopped.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It's a phase. Mine does it too.
    Anonymous

• My son's 10 months & he does it all the time.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 5:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• lol. my daughter does the same thing. i ignored it, and she stopped. cause she hates changing in and out of clothes, and she realized i wouldnt be changing her if she didnt throw up. it is a very short phase. at least for my kid it was. she does it every now and then, but to only get my attention.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 8:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2008