Should I stay at laborous job or be a stay at home mom?

I work for a job that takes alot out of me, handling packages up to 50-70lbs a minute for a few hours straight. By the time I get home I am exhausted and sore and not much fun for the family. The pros about this job is that I get to work part time and I get good health and dental coverage, so naturally I am torn about whether to stay or go. (I provide 2nd income to my SO but I don't really get to see check because it goes straight to daycare.) I have been looking into home base businesses or jobs, but have already been scammed so I've become a little discouraged. Basically, I am tired and want to try something new and safe and spend more time with baby and other family members. At a loss. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know the feeling of exhaustion that I can hear in your. Health care and dental coverage are huge benefits today, but if all your money goes to daycare than I am not sure that the benefits outweigh the cost. What does your SO think about all this? Are the kids yours alone or are they yours together? Also, how self motivated are you? You'll have to be super self motivated to grow a home business and take care of the home. Also, your SO may increase his expectations about how you run the home because he may think you have all this "extra time." In any case, make sure you have a plan before you make any changes. Good Luck!
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 11:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• whatever works for your family. Its your decision, not society's or people on the internet. You have to do what works for you.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• if you can afford it I would be a SAHM
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 11:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Are you really making anything or are you just buying gas and paying for daycare. You might want to look at it like that. Or Just try to get something a couple days a week in the evenings where you wouldn't have to have childcare. Good Luck!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Honestly, coming from someone who has been there- don't leave your job until you have something else lined up that will be adequate income. Living with less (being at home) can be a real stress too if you don't take the proper steps. Make out a list of EVERYTHING you spend a month, even if its mascara and see what exactly you can make. GL and yes you are right, most work from home sites are a scam. The best work from home opps imo are ones in which you completely employ yourself. You could have your own daycare or bake your own stuff, sew, be a photographer, web design, dog walking.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would be hesitant to give up health insurance. Can you get coverage thru hubby? Can you move up in the company to a less physical job? I would recommend making hte switch to hubby health ins now and putting away every extra dollar you make now after daycare costs. See what happens to budget at home without your income.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Only you and your family can make that decision. Don't forget to factor the good health and dental benefits into the financial part of your decision; those are getting harder and harder to get.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Can your family afford to have you not working? Can you provide insurance in any other way? If not I would keep the job.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Can you and your family live on one income? Me and my husband are a one family income, and well.....its hard but, we make it work. We do without alot. I could not see working to just pay daycare. It was cheaper for me to stay at home with my kids. Look at what you spend at daycare....fees, diapers, food, gas etc. FYI, not everyone is happy being a stay at home parent.....I love it. Just do a pro and Cons. Good luck with what ever you decide.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• you are talented as a sahm, if you wish, ...if you want to have money for daycare it's only for that. If you enjoy the job, do that, but number one of course is honesty. Honesty will get you what you need. What is best for your overall health and your child's health.? What is best for your peace of mind, and your child's good will? Will you really benefit and will your child in the end? Do you miss your child when you are gone too much? Does your child miss you? Do you feel the day care is doing a great job? Do you have total trust in the education that is offered there? Does the sound in the room (s) seem overly harsh like way too much noise for a child that age? Thesize of our day care place had such a sound problem that it made me cry going to ours just for 30 mins. It was awful to hear all the children screaming on their break that I warned other parents in case they had sensitive children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010