Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about having utilities turned on.

I am going to be moving to a different state soon. I already have a place but I'm going to need to have electric turned on there soon. Will I need to do that in person or make a special trip out of state just to have it turned on? Can I have a family member do it for me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (8)
  • You can usually handle it over the phone, just call the utility company and find out what you need to do.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • You can call your electric provider and have the account transferred.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • You should be able to just call them ahead of time, and let them know which date you'll need your electric turned on. We've done that a few times with no problems. You can always just call right now and ask to be sure.

    Answer by kksmomma1019 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • Yep as all the other people said you can do it over the phone. I have started and ended service over the phone in the last week because we moved.

    Answer by Melbornj at 11:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • You can usually just call to get it set up. That's what we did.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • Yep just call ahead and schedule it being turned on, in most cases they do NOT need to enter the home to transfer the electricity to your name

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • You can take care of it by phone.

    Answer by colepip2 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • Usually a phone call will take care of that. As long as you have a good record at your precious residence< it shouldn't be a problem.

    Answer by SweetLuci at 12:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.