Women who induce labor early...

A bit of a rant.. but WHY do women get pregnant if they are too selfish to stay pregnant for the duration? My sisters best friend is 36!! (YES, ONLY 36!) weeks pregnant with her second, and she drank caster oil last night to get her labor started.

NOW, I'll be honest, I personally don't have a problem with someone taking castor oil on or after their due date.. yes, I realize babies stay in until they are ready, BUT, if they have hit their due date, at least the baby is developed enough to live on its own.

But inducing her own labor a month early.. freaking STUPID. I don't understand how a mother could be that selfish.. wanting to have a drink, wanting to "have her body back" so she is going "make" herself have her baby a month early.

Stupid.

Sorry for the rant, but what are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Induction for any reason that is not life threatening should be illegal. personal opinion. I have to agree with you, if you can't handle being pregnant for a few more weeks, you're completely selfish.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't understand it either, when the baby is ready, it will come. I would never dream of doing such a thing, babies are supposed to be in for 40 weeks, period. If they come early, so be it, but I don't see the point in forcing it.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree, I was indced at 39 weeks so my husband could be here for the delivery. In my defense I was having contractions every 10 minutes for a few days in dialated to a 3. I just couldnt stand my husband not being there for the birth. That being said I would have never done it at 36 weeks!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with you more than you will ever know. And I don't even agree with doing it at 40 weeks. The timing could be off by at least 2 weeks and baby could still be too early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think that is so selfish and even worse---VERY controlling! WHo ever thinks that they can decide when THEY want their labor to start are either very conceited ,know- it- alls, OR they are stupid. It can be dangerous to induce labor---by doing it yourself or by asking a Doctor to do it....but I don't know any Doctors who would agree to inducing based on a Mother' selfish reasons.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wow, I suppose all the down voters are those selfish early inducers. LOL Petty.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 40 weeks is still just an estimate. Not technically considered overdue until 42. Any induction can raise odds big time of a c-sec. Personally, I think moms and drs shouldn't be allowed to have a scheduled c-sec because of impatience or conveince. C-secs cost twice as muc(that's why drs agree to do it) and they raise insurance for everyone, when there are plenty of people in ths country who cannot afford inssurance. I also have a major problem with women who drink, smoke and do drugs while pregnant. THAT IS CHILD ABUSE. They should be in jail and shouldn't be allowed to have that baby. I once saw a pregnant girl(not even a woman) in a resturant puffing away on a cig, and I just about fell over in my chair. She wasn't even trying to hide it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That is stupid! So she is okay with possibly having developmental delays because her baby is a premie?? Very selfish. Kind of gives you a forshadow of how she is going to be as a parent.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I know, I want to scream when I see moms getting induced or scheduled c-sections before there are medical reasons for it. Castor oil is dangerous at any stage, but to do it at 36 weeks is insane! I agree with Shanna84, I think it says something about her parenting style. She'll be on here when her baby is 2 weeks old trying to get her to sleep through the night and get on a strict feeding schedule, wondering why she wants to be held so darn much.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My opinion is a question.
    What is the underlying reason? This sounds more like an psychological or emotional breakdown in her thought process. I see it as borderline child endangerment....To intentionally induce labor prematurely when there is no underlying health risk puts the child and possibly the mother at risk. She was not advised by a Dr but intentionally ingested a drug. (granted it was Castor Oi)

To kiansmom - your induction was not selfish, you had dialated to 3 and have regular contractions, you wanted your spouse there. Your Dr approved.
    I had gone into labor 2 weeks early, mine stopped so they tried to induce me the next day. It did not work...babies come when they are ready, not you. I delivered 2 weeks later within 2 days of my due date.

For this woman, I am going to guess all she got was a bad case of diahrea.
    jtcr4boyz

Answer by jtcr4boyz at 12:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010