How can I prepare?

I have a real problem with social anxiety. I have a job interview tomorrow that I want to do well in.
I am afraid I will clam up or stutter. What are some ways you calm yourself when you are nervous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Health

• Research the company so you'll be prepared.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Try some deep breathing exercises to relax and just be yourself. It won't be as bad as you think it will be. Good luck!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Try some self-affirmation sentences - "I'm worth hiring," "I have a lot to offer," etc. Boosting your self confidence will help, I promise!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I wish I could help you I have the same problem!!..I get nervous going to my kids school, meeting new people, going somewhere new etc...It really sucks because some people thing I'm stuck up but I'm not, I'm just really shy. It makes making friends hard :(...It affects things I do with my kids too, like my daughter is very out going and wants to do this and that and my shyness stops me from doing things. I'm sorry I could not help you. I hope other moms can and good luck with your interview.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Just realize that everyone gets nervous - even your interviewer. Make sure you leave lots of time so that you're not rushed and definitely research the company and their competition so that you are confident when the interviewer asks you some questions. I tend to "bloom" a bit (ie sweat and get ruddy cheeks) when I'm nervous, so I try to dress as if it was 10 degrees warmer than it is. If you feel that you're flubbing a bit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that you're a bit nervous. Let the interviewer know that you're excited about the prospect of working for the company.

And when your interview is over one of the most important things you can do is send a HANDWRITTEN thank you note. Email and voicemail are not good enough and might work against you. If you're not sure of the interviewer;s name - just ask for their card from them or their assistant on your way out the door. Good luck!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 5:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010