Can I start Breastfeeding??

I'm 3 months postpartum. I did try to breastfeed for about 1 week. I wasn't to sure on what I was doing, then I gave up. After dealing with the most recent Similac recall, I have really started to feel bad about not breastfeeding my LO. I have heard it is possible to relactate/induced lactation. I do have a hospital grade electric pump, and the baby will still go to my breast if I place her there (nothing comes out, Obviously). I just want to know, if anyone has had a similar problem. All answers and stories are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Momma72923

Asked by Momma72923 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have also heard it's possible and that it takes a lot of work. I haven't had to do it, so I don't know many details, but talking to a lactation consultant would probably be a good idea. Here's a bump, I hope you find the info you need!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have never done it, but I've read that it is possible. You have to keep trying.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Even an adoptive mom can nurse her baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html Read this. And then Google relactating and read everything you can.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Try meeting with a lactation consultant to help you get her back on. I'm sure you can do this!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Absolutely! It's great that baby will take breast. Nurse as often as possible, this will encourage your body to increase production. You can also pump a few times a day for added stimulation. The fact that baby will latch is a good sign, this will probably be somewhat easy for you, compared to those who have to encourage their baby to latch. You also might want to get a supplemental nursing system, that way when you feed formula, you can do so at the breast, so baby will receive both formula and breast milk at the same time, and this will also stimulate your supply. Hope this information is helpful to you, and please, feel free to ask me anything else you might want to know.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• All you need is "Mother's milk tea" and a breast pump to get started;)

Good job momma!
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 12:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Go ahead and give it a shot!
    I would start on supplements... I really liked "more milk plus" I would either pump or feed every 2 hours
    I would get what is called an SNS system by medela... it goes around your neck and you fill it with milk (formula or if you pump anything put that in it) then you put your baby to breast and she will get the milk and encourage her to stay latched... stimulate your milk at the same time she learns to breastfeed.
    I would get in touch with a lactation specialist so that they can help you and troubleshoot with you if you are having troubles :)
    Good luck!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have induced lactation for an adopted baby. I have some detailed info on my blog about relactating for your own baby (it is pretty much the same) go to How Do I Relactate

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010