What's the difference between

a Christian who constantly whines and posts trying to tell people they need to convert or how pitiful it is they won't "accept the truth" and an atheist who constantly whines and posts trying to invent convoluted scenarios to get people to admit their faith is incorrect?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• People should keep their beliefs to themselves and let people woship (or not) how they want.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Neither is worse they are just both annoying.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think that I would first like to know how you differentiate "whining" from mere statements of opinion. How do you come to your conclusions in a forum where you can't see anyone's face or hear the tone of their voice? In such a situation, you cannot tell me, for instance, that my tone is angry and bitter when you can't hear my thoughts or my voice or see the expression on my face in order to know ANY of this. You cannot accuse ANYONE of "whining" when they are typing the words out rather than saying them. Are you empathic? Or psychic? I speak truthfully and I often speak a truth people don't want to hear. Is this your definition of "whining"? Because, if it is, don't expect me to stop any time soon. It is my duty to keep reminding godslaves that not every single soul on the face of the earth is christian. And I intend to keep doing that here.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Im with the first 2 posters...people should just mind their own business when it comes to religion. I dont think it is right to force my religion on others or do everything I can to make sure they know that they are wrong. No one knows what religion is the "right" one. Only "god" or "goddess" can know that. If they are real. I dont think that these people are whining for stating what they believe in....but they are rude and ignorant in the way that they say things about other religions.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I speak truthfully and I often speak a truth people don't want to hear. Is this your definition of "whining"?

No, and you should already know better than that. I am referring to the questions that are basically set up like "Do you still beat your wife?" where there is no "correct" way to answer, or the ones that imply that anyone who practices any religion is just stupid, while being an atheist makes you automatically smarter. It's a recent development - the arrival of a few evangelical atheists to CM who have made it their mission that instead of asking questions and starting discussions, they'll just run around insulting everyone like an atheist version of bloodbought.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• IMO if you don't want to read it, then don't go into the religious sections. I don't think anyone is whining, I just think it's strong beliefs and opinions. However, I think that some people should stay out of some discussions. For example, if there is a question for Christians or specifically about Christianity, I don't think someone needs to come in and start hating on the Christians. This goes for Christians as well. I don't open questions about Pagan beliefs for example with the sole purpose of bashing. I think people need to be considerate and sensitive to others. This goes for here and the Political debate section.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• IMO if you don't want to read it, then don't go into the religious sections.

Your solution to trolls is to leave the Q&A sections to the trolls? That seems awfully counterproductive.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• they'll just run around insulting everyone like an atheist version of bloodbought.

rolling on floor

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• There isn't much difference.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, and you should already know better than that. I am referring to the questions that are basically set up like "Do you still beat your wife?" where there is no "correct" way to answer, or the ones that imply that anyone who practices any religion is just stupid, while being an atheist makes you automatically smarter. It's a recent development - the arrival of a few evangelical atheists to CM who have made it their mission that instead of asking questions and starting discussions, they'll just run around insulting everyone like an atheist version of bloodbought. "

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010