do you think stores are being a bit pushy for putting out xmas decor mid sept. to buy more this year? I find it pushy and it makes me not want to shop or think about xmas how bout you what's your opinion?

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• That's actually right on rack for when retail stores are supposed to put Christmas out. The reason they do it is because if they don't they are left with stuff that they then have no room for and have to mark down. Also, more stores are stocking up less on Haloween things because that's just one day and it doesn't sell as much as Christmas. Christmas is a much longer season. For many people, the ghosts and goblins will be removed from their house decor Nov.1 and Christmas will stay up until mid-Jan or later. A lot of people don't celebrate Haloween at all or else make their own costumes, etc. but just about everyone celebrates Christmas and decorates in some way.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• As a consumer I think they started a lil early this year but as a former manager at one of the "big box stores" I know that the sooner you put it out the sooner they start buying it and saving to be able to buy more of it. So I can't blame the guys at corporate for knowing how our brains work, they need to leave a lil more room for Halloween fanatics like me to find decor though.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 12:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Pushy? No Ridiculous? Yes, there should be limits and it is turning into something that is only commercial.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lol that's "right on track" and Halloween, not Haloween
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• to me it's like what about thanksgiving? one holiday at a time..When I see xmas before halloween I just turn and walk the other way and I know alot of ppl will do the same.
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Pushy? Well, if I were being pressured to go shopping and buy stuff, that would be pushy.....I don't do a whole lot of shopping anyway....I'm not real thrilled with our consumer mentality culture, it's just not me.....but this gets me labelled as "cheap" and a "scrooge", etc.....just depends on how you look at it, I guess.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think it's ridiculous I mean you (for instance) take your child into the store knowing they won't have xmas cuz you don't have the money this year and see all that stuff and become heartbroken everytime they see it or parents shopping for their kids..me I don't shop alot I think xmas has become something so commercial it's just so materialistic anymore I have really grown to hate xmas..I used to love it when it was about family not gifts..
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The stores have been doing this for quite a few years now.   I don't like it.   It's not just 'in-store' decor, it's everywhere -  Stores, newspapers, magazines, TV shows, and TV commercials.  I can't do anything about the stores, but  I change the channel when a show has a segment, or a commercial comes on.*   I'm not ready to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is an easy and fun  transition into the Christmas season for me.

*I'm OK with the early commercials for lay-away. When my children were "kids," it really helped.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 12:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Maybe you should make Christmas about family in your home. We can't control what the stores do, but we can make the holiday what we want it to be in our own space.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010