Is it wrong to just put my 11 month old down for a nap in her crib?(without rocking or nursing her to sleep) It's getting quite tiring..

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you've been doing it for 11 months she will expect it. Stopping cold turkey might be a bit harsh and might not give you the desired result. You could start weaning her from an extensive pre-nap routine and help her learn to self-soothe. You can gradually cut back and replace what you have been doing with something she can do for herself. She does need to learn to go to sleep on her own at some point, so if you're ready to address it go for it.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No I never once rocked any of my little ones there is no requirement that they must be rocked to go to sleep. Then as far as nursing it is just a soothing habit. This was also something that I never did as they got older. Nursing was not associated with bedtimes because then they would not go to sleep any other way. I would maybe stop the rocking first and then work on not nursing and just lay your little ones down and they will learn to fall asleep that way.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Absolutely not wrong! We've never rocked to sleep (unless the baby was in a swing). We started putting them to sleep in a crib at 3 months old, and soon after they started sleeping through the night.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It will take a little time for your LO to transition to putting themself to sleep, but there is nothing wrong with it. Start slow by rocking her until she's almost out, then put her down and keep your hand on her back or tummy until she's out. Gradually reduce the time you rock her and stay with her until she can do it on her own.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• To leave her and let her cry for an hour is really harsh, if that's what you mean. There are ways to CIO where you're not totally abandoning her. There are times I think we've all had to put the baby down and walk away to cool off.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope. I never rocked my son to sleep he would eat before bed or nap time but never when he was in bed. I didnt want him to have to have that every time to go to sleep.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No you shouldn't have to rock or nurse her to sleep. Do something before nap time every day so that she has some time to wind down and so that she knows her nap is coming next. For my DD at this age she still took a bottle so I would give her one before nap time, then read her a couple of stories, cuddle and sing her a song and then put her down. I left a CD playing and sometimes I would give her a book to look at it in her crib if she didn't seem ready to sleep quite yet. If she fussed I would go in after a couple minutes and pat her back or cuddle her for another minute and then put her back down.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I quit rocking my kids to sleep when they were still infants. And I didn't feed them to fall asleep either. It was great, at bed time I would put them in their cribs and they would fall asleep
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i went from rocking to laying down with my 11 month old to get her to go to sleep. now we snuggle until she falls asleep and then i put her in her crib. we also just switched to one nap a day so she is pretty tired for nap and bedtime so this works better.
    SweetMiss

Answer by SweetMiss at 12:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• and how long should i be leaving her to cry in the crib before i get her back out......alot of times her cry fades in and out like she wants to fall asleep but never does. Ahhh..this drives me nuts...i just want to be able to have my cleaning time
    guitarmom101

Comment by guitarmom101 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010