We've finally hit the "terrible twos...." ULG!

When my DD was about 20 months her ped told me she was already in her "terrible twos" because she was so strong willed, independent, saying no, throwing tantrums, etc. These sucked, yea, but they were controllable. I've always been able to "talk her down" so to speak. But OMG, the last week I have seriously hit my breaking point. I yelled at my poor baby last night! She throws a FIT and whines over EVERYTHING. Every move we make, every time we leave, every meal.. nothing makes her happy. Even when I DO give her what she wants, she isn't happy with it.

She has a very set schedule, the same one she has had for two years (she is 2.5 now). She doesn't eat any differently, and eats VERY healthy, she gets to help make choices, she gets to be independent (to an extent), things are very structured, she is disciplined, but I'm about to blow my top listening to her scream and whine all the time.

HELP ME!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh, honey..i feel your pain..i just went through a similar week...my little guy refused to nap but was a total disaster without it...sending you love and a bump...gl!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ugh im right there with you! And my son is only 17 months! Let me know if anything helps you. I have tried time out for the tantrums he is having but its not working out at all. When he has his fit he will throw himself on the floor and scream like im trying to kill him or something...im going insane....Good luck and hope things get better for you. I will let you know if I try anything and it helps....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have literally locked my DD in her room. I put her in there, put up a baby gate so she can't get out, and tell her when she is ready to be a big girl and come out she can stop screaming. I have to go outside and breathe because I get so pissed. I just can't deal with the fact that NOTHING makes her happy.. I can't do ANYTHING to make it better.

Yesterday I got off work, picked her up and started driving to my parents' house. We got there and she started SCREAMING (and, she normally that's her FAVORITE place to go) saying she wanted to go home. I needed to see my mom for a few minutes, so I just let her sit in the car while I talked to my mom at the door. So, we went to leave, half way home she started screaming saying she wanted to go to grandmas house.

How do you deal with that without getting pissed? I HATE myself for being mad at her.. I just can't help it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Dear woman...I so feel you, my boy just turned 2 y/o the other day. You're doing the right thing by stepping away and taking a breather, take heart and knowing these are the days we live for...before we're complaining we left our teen on the side onf I95, lol! We have to realize this too shall pass, and we'll be sending them off to kindergarten. Be consistent, don't cave in to her demands, especially when she's acting like an epilieptic with her tantrums, and continue to count to 10. There are times I want to cry with him because he's driving me to drink, lol! We will survive, hon, we will survive! I love my kid, I love my kid, I LOVE MY KID! You so get a bump!
    Jam0418

Answer by Jam0418 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I will say..I don't have allot of issues with tantrums..it's the not listening that is the issue...my DS never really threw any until he was 27 months. When he did I would tell him when he is ready to talk with me like a big boy to let me kno and I would walk way. It usually stopped imediately and he would come find me or go play. So you are doing the righ thing...we all get angry and our blood pressure sky rockets...i was bawling my eyes out yesterday because for the 4th day in a row my DS wouldn't nap and was falling to pieces by 2 and would not goi to bed! you're not alone
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010