Atheists and Agnostics.. do you ever...

wish there was a "church" for non-believers where you got together and discussed science.. did all the community stuff church folk do.. like big dinners and the sort?

MamaJasmine

Asked by MamaJasmine at 12:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've been thinking of getting involved with the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association) but have not yet done it. I really only want to join so my daughter can be exposed to so many different things and can choose her own "path" not because I miss the feeling of "church" because to be quite frank, I had terrible experiences with churches (which is why my beliefs have changed so much in the last few years). Just because I don't believe in a certain "religion" and such doesn't mean I'm going to deny her that right to do so.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes. I settled with UU and it also gives my kids a chance to choose their own path.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not really. I have other outlets for spending time with friends and family.

Memigen, I wouldn't say that being Atheist and believing in science are opposites. They're definitely not the same, but not opposites either.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• There are. They aren't called churches, but there are organizations all over the country that offer the same kind of community and charity, but with a secular humanist theme instead of a religious one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope. I'm not a fan of organized religion, nor would I be a fan of organized "non-religion". I can have big dinners and discuss whatever I want to with my friends, I don't need an organization for that. Besides, you can be part of a community without gathering in a church once a week....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You do have one ... its called the UUA
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No. And FYI, being Atheist and Agnostic and believeing in science are NOT the same thing. Quite the opposite really.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• "being Atheist and Agnostic and believeing in science are NOT the same thing. Quite the opposite really."

really because all of my friends who are atheist or agnostic (husband included) discuss science all the time, and if they are not discussing science they are talking about how annoyed they are with Christians trying to talk them into changing their beliefs, and their abuse of pseudo science.
    MamaJasmine

Comment by MamaJasmine (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes, I sort of miss a sense of community I had when I attended church as a child. I don't typically refer to myself as an atheist or agnostic though. I'm think I'm a post-theist. I'm very interested in Buddhism as well. We were considering a Unitarian Universalist church, but the closest one is about 45 minutes from us. I'd be curious to know what people think about their UU churches. I might post that question later.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010