• In the Spotlight:

My Step Daughter slapped her dad in the face..what to do now?

This is the 12 year old step daughter I posted about skipping school. My husband punished her by telling her she couldn't go to the Halloween party, and also that he was driving and walking her into class each day for two weeks. Well Today was the first day he walked her in, and just a few minutes ago she walked in the door, went up to her dad and screamed at him for embarrassing her in front of her friends at school. She then smacked him pretty hard in the face. Hard enough to leave a mark.
I am shocked. He said he was too angry to deal with her at the moment, and went to take a ride in the car to cool off. She is up in her room now. I am so angry I can't see straight. Her behavior is out of control. Any advice on how we should be handling this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think walking her to class is a GREAT idea. I guarantee if she goes through that embarassment for awhile she won't be skipping anytime soon. She definately needs some serious punishment; there should be no reason for her to think she can slap her father. To be honest, my dad would've slapped me back if I ever tried anything like that.
    DanaLamborn

Answer by DanaLamborn at 3:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Well the cool down is a good start! Once everyone has cooled down some a serious TALKING is in order!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Well, I'm glad he's cooling down before he deals with her. Not my kid, not my situation, but I'm still pretty angry just reading that! Did she just recently move in with you guys? I'm wondering, if that's the case, if maybe living with her mom or whoever she was living with has given her some serious emotional problems that maybe she needs some therapy to help deal with. Otherwise, I'd say a serious grounding is in order: no friends, phone, TV, outside, etc. for quite some time.

Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My husband has always had custody of her, because her mom has not ever been in the picture. I just don't know why she is acting like this. If it's just the age or what is going on.
    Anonymous

• Wow Thats good that he is cooling down cause if that was my kid I would not just let her go to a halloween party I would keep her in her room for life my kid slap me I would grab them and let them know whats up!! Dont let her go treak or treating and talk to her about what she did and thats it leave her in her room
    Anonymous

• wow, thats crazy. its a good thing everyone cools down before dealing with it, people act different when they are mad. I"m not so sure about walking her in though, thats like adding insult to injury. talk with her teachers, get their emails. have them email you if she is not in class that day, be sure to email them if she isnt going, for a doc appt or something of that nature. just let her know that you have eyes at the school and will know if she skips. let her know the consequences ahead of time, if they are the right punishments, hopefully she wont want to give them up. i really believe that the punishment should fit the crime. keep driving her to school for the two weeks. meet with the teachers and the principal, keep in contact. best of luck!
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• well is surprising that he did not smack her back and he went to cool down.Just talk too her maybe she is having some problem that she is not telling any body. have a lot of passions. If you gays move recently. May be she is not taking it so well.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Off to boot camp...strip her room of everything now...I mean have dad do it.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• The both of you have to have a serious talk with her...lol...in the car where she can't leave the room and ignore both of you...be firm and stand together on this...
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Sorry to sound mean but it is not your child so you have nothing to do with the situation.
    Anonymous