Do I have to have a baby shower?

I am no fan of sitting in a pastel decorated room with my loved ones talking about leakage, placenta and nipple pain. Yet my family and friends all want me to have Baby showers. I have damn near everything I need for ther baby already and really dont want people wasting money on things that we really dont need. Am I being odd or is it ok to not let them throw 4 big parties in three different states?

AprylnAtticus

Asked by AprylnAtticus at 12:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would be greatful and jump at the chance that someone even cared enough about me to throw me a shower. My SIL tried her hardest with DS, and even though it was horribly planned, and even though only 12 people showed up total, (thinking back, neither my mom nor dad came. gah.) I'd have given anything for someone else to throw me a party no one would show up to this time around. I'm due on thxgvg, and don't have a crib or ANYTHING yet due to DH being laid off and not having the money. Makes me wish we were still in Montana, 22 hours from family, to where atleast I could give them an excuse not to come visit.

If nothing else, have a Welcome to the Family party, and on the invitations write something kind about "not needing gifts, that diapers and gift cards to _____ are appreciated."
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You don't have to. But your baby shower doesn't have to be unfun either. I had mine at a bar/bowling alley and let some of the guys come.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Why don't you have a "meet the baby" party instead.
    That way, everyone will be a lot more focused on baby, and a lot less on you. :-)
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If you do not like Baby Showers, and have practically everything you need, don't have one! If your family insists, tell them you'd prefer $$ donations. If they feel bad about it, explain that you could use the $$ for anything that comes up that you may need later on for baby, or just use it to open up a future college fund... food for thought :)
    Grotezus

Answer by Grotezus at 12:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't like attending baby showers! If you already have a child no you do not need a baby shower. Most people are doing them as an open house kind of thin nowadays anyway. Stop by around 6-8 lol
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 12:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No you dont HAVE to have a baby shower. Some people just find them pointless and feel that if they want to send you something for the baby then they can....there is no need for a big party for it. I wanted to have one but we moved so I could not have one. But a frined of mine never had one because she didnt want to. I sent her a small gift to help her out with things she needed but no party and that was just fine.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• wow!!! That is too much!!! One is good though! Why 4??? Do u need to fly there? One will do with things that people don't really think of like: baby shampoo,baby nail clippers,baby scratch mittens(so they don't scratch their face),baby powder,diaper rash cream,diapers cloth(for burping),disposable ones, booties, baby jammies,socks, onesies,pacifier,and garbage can for dirty diapers.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Consider yourself lucky that someone wants to give you a shower. Honestly, with your attitude of ungratefullness, I wouldn't do anything for you if it was buying something or not.
    Anonymous

• wow somebody has their panties all in a bunch
    AprylnAtticus

Comment by AprylnAtticus (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010