Atheists, what makes you so sure you're right?

Not being snarky. I just saw this same question posted towards Christians, thought I'd turn it around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It started as a feeling when I was really young. As I got older, I looked into it more and more. I have studied a lot about evolution (in college and privately). There is just so much evidence that supports something I thought made sense from the beginning
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Speaking as an athiest, I'm not sure I'm right. I think this is a very common misconception. I just don't have enough evidence to say I believe.
    Anonymous

• I'm Agnostic... which I like because its a big fancy way of saying I don't believe there IS God/Goddess/Higher Power but I don't believe there ISN'T either. On the religious fence! How does anyone validate something that's purely based on "feelings"... can you explain in hard terms what makes your mate right for you and why so many other relationships fail? Humans are a strange creature and what works for one couple make destroy another couple -- so too goes with religion. Its all about what works for you. What *feels* right to you, it makes sense to you. You can't be wrong or right - its how you feel. It's what you believe.. and none of us know until the final curtain anyway.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have to jump in and say evolution doesn't prove or disprove the existence of G-d. Science can't even prove or disprove the existence of G-d. There is no proof either way.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 4:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ..although Quantum Physics is bridging the gap between secular thoughts and religious ones. How exciting!!

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 4:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• scratch the word religious in my 3:12 post and replace it with non secular, that's more objective.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 4:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Lack of proof. It's not that hard really.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I don't think I'm either right or wrong. It's just what I believe just as much as God is what you believe. But personally believing that someone can walk on water and heal the dead, sounds too far fechted to me.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ah. The proof will come when the trumpet sounds and those who have believed and accepted Jesus are taken away from the awful tribulation on the earth. I'm sure there will be a lot of surprised people then.
    Anonymous

• How much proof do you need? There are 6,000 copies of the original manuscripts of the Bible? Thats astounding! He did walk on water and raise the dead, and heal the blind, you know why I know that because there were eyewitnesses to that and other eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. They report supernatural events that took place in fulfillment of specific prophecies and claim that their writings are divine rather than human in origin. You're trying to base your beliefs off of natural things, God is not natural hes supernatural and beyond our human understanding.
    Anonymous