Agree or disagree? ~ Adrian Cooper

"The true God does not need or desire to be worshiped or to receive offerings, and is most certainly not influenced by flattery or praise."

~ Adrian Cooper ~ From his book, "Our Ultimate Reality - Life, the Universe and the Destiny of Mankind" Copyright @ Adrian P. Cooper, 2005

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• For the most part, I'd say that's true of mine. The flattery or praise is more of a gray area - they are not swayed by insincere flattery or praise, and it's far more complex than just throwing out "our god is an awesome god" type of thing. The boasting and naming of feats during a blot is a variation of flattery, but very specific.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• disagree
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I disagree. I think we were created to be in communion with our God and that includes worship and praise.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sounds like someone who doesn't know God.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 100% and completely disagree!
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 4:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I strongly disagree. This goes against everything the Bible teaches and God Himself says.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Part of it I agree, part I disagree.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would agree. I think of the best of people who've every inhabited the earth, and the traits that they seem to exhibit that raise them above all other people are humility and humanity. They look beyond themselves and toward the greater good. They don't do good deeds because they get praised for them, they do good because it's the right thing to do. If a god is supposed to be better than all things, then I'd think any god would have those sorts of characteristics--an ego that doesn't need to be assuaged, and a wish to do the best for the greater good. Praise wouldn't figure into it--it wouldn't be necessary.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• sounds good to me. i worship God b/c i want to, not b/c i think God wants it or that its going to somehow get me something special from God. if God wanted praise and adornment he wouldnt have given us the ability to chose to believe...God would have created robots or lemmings. i cant believe in a God that is so shallow and powerless as to need my respect.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010