What do you think about this induction?? Please help.

My preggy friend's doc wants to induce 2 weeks early because the baby isn't growing as fast as he thinks she should be. He thinks the baby will be able to gain weight faster if they induce and they feed her. What do you think? I want to be supportive, but if there are any other options, I want her to know. Sometimes docs are not always forthcoming.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope, I'd request a second opinion! 5 pounds at 37 weeks is not an IUGR baby.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If the baby is experiencing restricted growth in the uterus, then delivery is usually the safest option.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm with the doc.. if growth is an issue then delivery would be the best choice!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• How ok with this is your friend?? If she's uncertain get a second opinion but otherwise I would say listen to the dr. They wouldn't take that baby 2 weeks early if they didn't think it was necessary!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 1:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sometimes if the mother isn't growing anymore it does not leave room for the baby to grow and delivering the baby may be the safest option for the baby.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't know about that one. She could get a second opinion from a dr. Most likely baby will spend time in the NICU either way
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sweet love of Mine...you seriously think a baby born at 38 weeks will be in the NICU? WOW.....Do you have any clue how much weight a baby can gain in the last two weeks gestation?

Honey, her doctor knows best. You will hear a lot of horror stories about interventions, but ther are mom's on here that have shared stories about how they wished they would have listened to their doctors also!! Best Wishes to you both! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had to be induced at 37 weeks(due to complications) and it was fine. My son was 8 lbs. I think everything will be fine.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• ^ Your son was fine, however, some people have kids at 40 weeks that are only 5 or 6 pounders. So, you can't ever tell.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The baby weighed about 5 lbs at 37 weeks. The mother is very tiny and petite. I'm just kind of against medical intevention unless it is absolutely neccessary, but that is me and not her. It's her first child, so If the doc tells her something I don't think she knows she has other options. I just want everything to be healthy for her.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010