how long have you had your wii..have you ever had any problems with it?

so i just got my son's wii out of layaway. The system, extra control, and 1 game was just over $300.00 My cousin today offered to give us his, he bought it when the wii first came out so of course its a couple of yrs old. He even gave me about 5 games to go with it...he gave it to me because he lost interest in it and he got a new PS3..anyways...my question is..would you give your child this used game system for their bday (as long as every thing seems to be working)..also has anyone ever had one of these things crash on them? I would hate to take the new one back and then a short time later this used one crash. Of course, i could always buy it again i know..but i just want to know how durable these wiis are after years of use?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We got ours shortly after they came out and we havent really had any problems except with one game (Chicken Blaster) it tends to make it freeze. Why we don't know. But other than that ours is fine. I dont see anything wrong with giving a used video game system. It would be the same as buying a used system from GameStop (In my opinion). I would just make sure that everything does work.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We've had ours for about 3 years too. We had to get it fixed because my daughter shoved some rocks in it(don't ask). Anyways, it was $75.00 to get it fixed, if they weren't able to fix it they would've given us a new one for that same $75.00. So no, under normal circumstances we wouldn't have had any issues with it:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I bought one new a few years ago. It stopped working because the disc drive burned out. The kids had a bad habit of pausing games for hours at a time, every day it seemed.

I traded it in, non-working, for a refurbished Wii at a Gamestop and only had to spend about $50 to replace it. It was actually cheaper than getting it repaired.

As long as the system has been treated well, I wouldn't worry about a used one.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• so really, even buying a used one at a gamestop if it does burn out is smarter than paying the $300.00 i just spent, huh?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• this was my first time buying a game system...
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ours is 2.5 years old, never had a problem with it except trying to connect it to the internet (it wasn't a wii problem though, it was a wireless problem - so not a true issue). I wouldn't buy a used one from a random place though, I'd only buy used if it was from a trusted friend or family member - too easy to lie and get defective merchandise from places like that.
    Anonymous

• We've had our wii for about 3 years and never an issue with it. Routine care like blowing it out with a can of air to keep dust from accumulating helps too.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We bought one a couple years ago. No problems yet.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It should be cheaper just to get one 'fixed' than to just buy a brand new one.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ours has worked fine - we've had it about 3 years. The only problem is one of the controllers doesn't want to work for some reason.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010