How to discipline kids in public

My daughter has been throwing a fit every time we go to a store wanting something. She screams and cries so loud. My husband and i hate when people stare at us like we are bad parents.I am to scared to to punish her in public because of all the child safety laws now days. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would bend down to look her in the face..tell her firmly that she is not going to get a toy and needs to act nicely or you will have to leave. Be prepared to leave even if you didnt get to finish shopping. If you have to leave, she will not get special privilages once you go home. DO NOT act wishy washy or try to bargin and DO NOT get her what she is crying over. If she straightens up then maybe she can help you choose a special snack to have later that night.

If you can prepare before you go talk with her about how a person behaves at the store.
    Make her a "list" of things to find and let her check them off as they go in your cart.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 1. Usually one of us does the shopping and one stays home. 2. If that is not an option, I have no problem disciplining my kids whereever we happen to be.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I discipline my daughter the same way in public as I do at home in private.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I take my kids to the car or I discipline in the store. depends on how severe the situation is.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010