How do you tell a family member not to spend alot of $$$ on you at xmas?

We're on a tight budget & have two kids now. How do I tell my brother who has alot of money to not spend alot on us? just buy for the kids? with out sounding cheap? how do ya set a limit? even though i know he will go over the limit??? how do I approach this? help...

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You could say something like "we're on a tight budget this year so we would prefer it if you mostly got gifts for the kids." He will probably do what he wants anyway, but at least this way you are clear about what you would like.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• With honesty...Tell him the truth. You can't stop him from buying you stuff if that is what he wants to do...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• How about.....do not spend a lot of money on us.
    Just be direct, and straight so there are no misunderstandings.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• What I did years ago, was tell all of my family that we love you, but we don't have a big budget, so we are only going to buy for our own little family, and we invite you to do the same....my family insisted on ignoring me and buying for us anyway, and I graciously said, "Thank you".....My mom didn't like it, but I grew thick skin, and my answer always was, "It's not about love, it's about money I don't have"...she learned to drop it......
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would just say, "We will be cutting back our spending this year and will only be buying for your kids. We would like it if you would do the same. I am planning to spend in the $10-15 dollar range for each kid." Or whatever you plan on spending.

That way he knows what you are planning and can plan accordingly. It is his choice if he wants to spend more.

The whole gift giving on Christmas is such an ordeal nowadays.

He knows your financial situation, so don't fret, he should understand.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• agree b direct my brothers were as relieved as I was we only buy for kids and sometimes just do family gifts
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• He is your brother.

Look I honestly can't spend money this year, could you forget about buying for my husband and my self and just buy for the kids.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010