if people are reincarnated why can't we remember our past lives?

if someone wanted to remember a past life how would they go about finding out?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 1:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually there are many cases of children recalling their past lives. It seems when they start to 'grow up' they lose that ability. Past life regression is the way to remember your past lives- it's like hypnosis. You can even by audio tapes that you play at night when you're sleeping that are supposed to trigger those memories.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You do remember them. Then your parents laugh and tell you what a vivid imagination you have and you are conditioned away from it. Past life regression if you can find someone in your area who does it. Ask a child under age five what they did before they came to be your child and they can most likely tell you. Certain things we carry over from one life to the next. Deja vu is most definitely linked to past lives.
    Anonymous

• The best thing I could suggest is to go see someone who specializes in past life regressions.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It is your spirit that gets reincarnated and memories from a past life is generally not a part of that. I do tarot readings that you can find out about a past life. You can find someone that does this if you want to find out more about it or go see a psychic or like the first poster mentioned. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Anonymous

• I think you can remember them. I think that is why we experience deja vu.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It's hard to remember because so much happens between death and birth. If one practices meditation sometimes they can figure it out.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Some of us can recall certain things within past lives. You can seek a spiritualist but also depending on your faith some things will come to you in visions. When that occurs it is mostly because you need to learn something of importance that relates to that past life that can guide you in the presence. Each life is for a purpose and a learning experience if one knew all about what they have experienced in the past then how can they learn from their present?
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I believe Deja Vu is a part of our past life. I also often feel like I used to be someone else. All my life, I've had flashes of old time royalty, as if I were a princess or something. Some people can and some people can't remember.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Many of us do remember our past lives... And those who don't can take steps to tap in to those memories through regressive therapy and meditation.

What it comes down to though is that while our spiritual self is reincarnated, our physical self is not. And it's our physical brain which has the greatest influence over memories. As children many of us have a greater connection to those past lives, but because we are taught to suppress those memories and connections as "make believe" we tend to forget about those things as adults. Although there is some speculation that things such as unusual fears or dreams can hold a connection or a memory to those past lives. For example, the sound of low flying or older model plains is enough to send me in to panic attacks, and the sound inspires "memories" of war... But I have never experienced anything like this in THIS life, it makes sense that the connection is deeper than the physical.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Our past lives manifest as memories most through our childhood... We create "imaginary friends" or fantastic stories about things that we have never experienced and our parents tell us those things aren't real. We have fears and dreams which seem to have no real foundation in our life, but our parents tell us there is no reason to think about them. It's because of this that we stop remembering... Not because the memories aren't there, but because we have learned to suppress them. I think it's also because just as your memories of the every day to day from your childhood have faded, so do the memories from past lives day to day... It doesn't mean you didn't have a 13th day of Kindergarten or that you didn't have a past life, it simply means the memories which create who you are TODAY doesn't rely on that information... So your physical brain pushes it down to make room for more pertinent information & memories.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010