My 4th grader wants a phone for chistmas...

Doesn't this seem a little young? All of his friends have one, but why the hell would they need one? By law(at least in the state we live), they can't even stay home alone yet, but they have/want phones. What's your opinion? Too young or appropriate age for a cell phone?
On a side note: I worry about the texting. I'm just not sure that he completely understands that once you press send your text is there for as long as the recipient keeps it in their phone.

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 1:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 4th grader has one. She takes her phone with her on Wednesday because its a half day at school and she's goes to after school at the community center. She calls me when she gets out of school on Wednesdays and calls me when she's ready to be picked up. She only takes her phone on Wednesdays and the rest of the days its at home until she gets home. This is how we're teaching her responsiblity. She's doing a great job...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Still I would not give my kid one. Also are you sure that all the kids have their own, or is he just telling you that? Have you talked to the other moms about it? I am sure he is not the only one without a cell phone.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, That is too young for a phone. I have a 6th grader. I told him he could have one when he was away from home, sports and such. What is the pont of them having one when they are right beside you?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My neighbor got one for her 5th grader but thats because she walks to her grandmas after school. So I guess it depends on the circumstances. Personally, I think its a bit young. My 1st grader asks for one and I tell him No Way!
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 1:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lmbo Pictures, Images and Photos

Sorry! LOL!

I would not buy a phone for a kid that age. If he was a latchkey kid I could understand it, but for a normal kid, not a chance. They just are not old enough to keep it safe and use it appropriately.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i say yes, but I'm a neurotic mom that wants to have access to my kids on my whim LOL we do not have texting on our tweens phones - that is an added expense that they can pay for. My boys are now 11 and 12 but have had phones since around age 8. We also have gotten them the least technical phone just basic calling availability. It is peace of mind for me for 9.99 a month each added onto pur plan - we all share minutes also!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My DD is 7 and she has one...with texting and all that.....she is very responsible with it....and she understands that what she texts will always be out there....if you trust him enough and he is mature enough i dont see why not.
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have an "extra" phone that my 10 and 12 year old can use when I want to be able to get ahold of them and I want them to be safe. But they know it's MY extra phone. They don't need to have their own until they have a job and can pay for it themselves. Remember when we used to not even Have cell phones?? What did we ever do without them....Uh, live life right in front of us! ;p
    Amygirl16

Answer by Amygirl16 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I know, but all of his friends have one! He's the odd ball for not having one, I don't get it.
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes, They are the kids phones. Their moms call them on it when they are here playing. Also, sometimes I get weird texts from them like "whats up dog" (yep that was a more recent one) Not sure if these kids know it's my phone. I don't care what the other kids have, though. I hate for him to be left out, but thats life. I was thinking maybe 7th grade for a phone, for when he needs rides home from activities. Now I'm always with him or if he goes to a friends I can get a hold of the mom.
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010