debt collector and court supena

I lost my insurance while I was pregnant, so I have a TON of bills piled up now. I paid on them what I could, but it got to where I just couldn't pay anymore. Dh and I have moved and both have better jobs now. So I'm in the process of gathering all debts and debt collectors to call them and set up payments. But today I got a letter saying I have a court date NEXT Week! It seems to be a real letter. But there's no I can go. So two questions, how do I know if it's real, and is it too late to try to talk to them? I know it's my fault, and I'm trying to make it right. The money just wasn't there. But after next I will be able to start paying.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• call the court clerk and let them know you cant be there....they will either reschedule or try to settle with you out of court...even if you do go to court, its just so that they can set up a payment plan with you....i went thru this a couple mos ago...it sucks to be so behind...im there, i know...but the court stuff is not as scary as it sounds...GL!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wow... I am not sure. I know that we were ordered to court for an outstanding debt once and we were actually served court papers. A lady came to our door and asked for my husband by name and shoved the papers at him and ran to her car.lol My husband about died from a heart attack! The paperwork said that we could settle for the company to avoid court, so we did.

I would call the courthouse and talk to a clerk about it. It seems to me that one week is not enough time for this sort of thing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would also call the people bringing you to court to see if you can settle for a smaller amount paid in a lump sum. They will propably work with you since they really don't want to take you to court.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It honestly doesn't matter if you're there or not. Technically you owe he debt so you're going to lose anyway. You can and should, however call the court and make sure it is legitimate. I'm sure it will be though. You can also ask to reschedule if you do want to be there.

You can work out a payment plan with them even after you sue them. Call the lawyer's number on the papers and see if you can work out a plan. If you have any money that you can scrape together to settle with them that would be even better. Remember when they go to court it costs money. So it's better for them and you if you don't have to appear before a judge.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010