What are your tips to saving money at the grocery?

I buy mostly ad items and only get what's on my list (even though sometimes it's DIFFICULT to do so)

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 2:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I buy store brands, use coupons, buy certain things at certain stores, and buy clothes on clearance for the next year.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Never go hungry and leave kids at home
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Go in with a list and stick to it.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 2:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I shop at stores like Aldi and Save-A-Lot. I also grow a lot of my own food and preserve it. I make my own bread and butter and many other things from scratch. I average about $50 a week on a family of four.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Local grocery stores will let you know when there is a sale and when they break up bulk items, the sales are very significant! Keep your eyes peeled!

Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 2:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Shop the clearance or Manager's specials in the produce, bread, and meat sections. Typically stuff that expires the next day is marked WAY down. I freeze the vast majority of it as soon as I get home and eat what I can't freeze.

Coupons - lots of coupons. I even clip coupons of stuff I don't normally buy - sometimes they will be marked way down or on clearance and I pay 50 cents or even get the item free.

Stick to a list!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Never go hungry, bring a list and follow it, use coupons for items you usually buy, and leave Hubs at home
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 2:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010