So...ditching the paci, binky, nuk, etc., isn't going too hot...

Hi there! I was that mom that said absolutely no way no how was my kid going to have his paci/binky/nuk passed the age of 8 months...HA! Well, at 2 y/o he is now, I am struggling to deal with this! He only uses it for nap and bedtime, and at times takes it out when he's finished. Never as a solace during the day in general. So, we've gone cold turkey, and he (and I) are a mess! He has fits like a person in rehab! He does everything but vomit. How did you overcome this or any suggestions. 2 days, 16 hours without the nuk, and his naps have become erratic, and I'm bopping in/out the bed every hr and half at night...help! I wanted to get over this before beginning potty training!

Jam0418

Asked by Jam0418 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he won't take a replacement, I guess I don't see the need to get rid of it. I know "they" say he shouldn't have it, but why stress your self and your child? If it isn't working, try again at a later date. I think my son was almost 3! He was the only one (so far) that used the pacifier and he only got it at bedtime. Towards the end he had to keep track of it. If he threw it down at night - he had to find it if he wanted it the next night. We wouldn't hunt it down for him. One day he couldn't find it and we reminded him that he had to look for it if he wanted it (we could see it under the bed). He didn't want to get up and search, so he cried himself to sleep. Like I mentioned earlier it was like that for a couple of nights.

Sometimes everyone getting some rest is more important than what might happen to their teeth. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• When you figure out the magic cure, pass it on to me. My oldest is 25 months and doesn't have a paci but still takes a bottle to nap and bed. I give him 4 oz milk at nap and 4 oz water at bed. And when he wakes in middle of night he sometimes comes to my bed, for all of our sanity (the 1 yr old and myself), and he sucks the bottle like it's a pacifier. We tried 2x now to give him a cup, which he uses all day. But isn't soothed from it. This behavior got out of hand when daddy was leaving for weeks at a time for work. I just gave up until things hopefully settle down. But after the 3rd night of no bottle he almost broke his arm when he threw himself out of my bed in the middle of the night. So I caved. I was even going so far as to hide the 10 month olds bottles (at the time). Now when the baby is totally off a bottle they are all gone. I don't look forward to the maniac behaviors again. I feel for you.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Honestly, hon, I'd give it back to him, and not worry about it....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Stick it out. We had a couple of nights where he cried himself to sleep, but then that was it. I would say give it one week. If he is still not able to fall asleep you may need to come up with a replacement (Stuffed animal, blanket??). Or maybe let him have it to fall asleep and then you take it away for the rest of the night?

Lots of sleeplessness for you, but it will be worth it in the end!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Mom, you do this gradually, cold turkey is only going to make the both of you miserable. Let him have his paci/binky/nuk for sleeping, why is it so important to you to take it away now, it comforts him....and you! Do you think he will become a teen with this habit, I sincerely don't think so, let him be a baby a little while longer and eventually he will throw it out himself or put it in the back of the closet, like my son did. You know my son gave up around 2 and a half, and what I did was tell him constantly that big boys didn't do this and when he was ready to let go of his baby ways he did all on his own without drama. Be good to yourself and your baby for now, let him keep it for sleeping and keep drilling him that big boys don't do this.

Answer by older at 2:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Friends of ours let their girls use a paci until they naturally gave it up at the age of three. They only used it at nap time and bedtime also.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• when we got rid of the pacy,my daughter started taking a toy or stuff animal to bed with her to cuddle with,,mabe try telling him he can take something to bed to sleep with,it might take his mind off of it..hope it works..works for us
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Sigh...this is truly helpful. Ya know...I wasn't pressed about taking it away, Older, until everyone else started making a big deal about it...and I've tried to give him a replacement, Micheledo (i.e. stuffed monkey, etc), he flings it out the crib with an adamant NO! Like...this is not my binky, lady, what am I supposed to do with this! It's tough...like with all things, it just seems like it's "time" to do away with it, but I can't fight him like this, it's killing the both of us.

@2blondebabies, how funny he had no issues with the bottle! We ditched the bottles by 7 months, but then again, he had his nuk to comfort. Sounds like your baby uses his bottle as his nuk :( We will get through this! Ty for the much needed advice, ladies.
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010