my DD will be 4 months old soon and i would like to start slowly introducing solids...

VERY slowly, i realize she is young....im thinking of skipping cereal/rice....what do you think of that? im thinking of just starting with Avocado since they say to start with veggies....
NOTE****I realize some of you may think she is too young but thats not my question so if youre going to lecture me please move on...

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son turned 4 months I began adding just a tablespoon of applesauce to his formula. This thickened the bottle and kept him fuller longer and also gave me an idea if he was going to be prepared to take on apples. after 2 weeks he was eating applesauce from the jar,then carrots,then peas,then pears, I switched out veggies and fruits :) Hope this helps!
    Mrs.Minyard09

Answer by Mrs.Minyard09 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• FIRST go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    There is lots of info on how to start solids and what foods to avoid. There is directions for making your own food too.
    I am suprised how many people say that Avacado will cause allergies, that is FALSE!! Avacados are the least likely to cause an allergy, sweet potatoes and butternut squash are also good choices for first foods. Apples are very likely to cause constipation, so for fruits you are supposed to start with the fruits that begin with the letter "P". Check out all the info on that website, its very helpfull.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ugh I had a whole reply but my CM froze...OK, basically, yes, I feel that 4 months is a bit young to be starting. I'm not a fan of infant cereals either, so I would probably skip that as well. Good starter foods are avocado, as you mentioned, as well as banana and sweet potato. You can make your own cereal by grinding up some uncooked oatmeal in a food processor and then cook as you would regularly cook oatmeal. Add formula or breast milk if you like. I'm not going to start any drama, as this is your child, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to begin the introduction so soon. If you don't want to answer that, that's fine...good luck to you, and obviously, once you start, if you notice anything like a reaction, or a severe change in bowel habits, you should consider backing off for a bit, and introducing at a later time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son started on home made babyfood at about that age. I made greenbeans, peas, and carrots for his firsts
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I made my own baby food or went with Gerber - they have a natural selection now.
    OliviaW.

Answer by OliviaW. at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would start honestly with the cereal but I can say niether of my boys like it then I got to baby food didn't take long for them to just want that... it depends on the child both my boys were 4 months when I started them
    portlandia

Answer by portlandia at 5:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'd be careful with avacado at that age, she' more likely to develop an allergy to it the younger you introduce her to it.....that being said, try it and see...applesauce is good, too....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• All my girls were on Apples and Bananas by 3 months. Not a whole lot though. You do have to stear clear of Avacados though, that can cause an allergy. But yes it may be a little young to some, but my mother did it to us, and I did it to my girls and they are both Healthy.
    Momma72923

Answer by Momma72923 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010