Weaning off of bottle at 13 months - Is it really necessary?

My son is 13 months old, he does drink of out sippy cups and regular cups just fine however I feel like he does not drink as much as he does from a bottle. Is it really that bad if I continue to give him bottles?

I am a first time mom so please excuse me if this sounds silly but how much does he really need to be drinking at 13 months and 25 pounds?

Thanks!

DeeDee323

Asked by DeeDee323 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They want them weaned because they can actually take in too much fluid from a bottle leading to them not getting the proper nutrition from foods. Also, it can severely rot thier teeth. I think the rule is 1 oz of fluid for each pound of body weight. Thats what my pedi said :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• not really a "big deal" (mine kept there's way past the first birthday) ..
    The big thing is... You want most of the nutrition to start coming from FOOD.. instead of milk. So as long as your little one is eating good... and not just sucking down a bottle to fill up on.. You are fine.. and so is your little one.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The longer he has the bottle the more connected he will become with it. Right now it will be so much easier on you if you gradually start taking it away versus if you wait.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My baby was on her bottle until about 14 months. At 12 months she was using a cup primarily and only two bottles a day. 13 months she was down to one bottle a day. 14 months she was off it. Took until she was 19 months to get her off the pacifier, though.

I did it mostly because I was worried about her teeth.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If he isn't getting enough from a cup, so you give him a bottle so he'll get more, he'll not get enough from the cup because he is getting liquid from the bottle. It is my understanding that they don't need to suck after a year, so a reason for a bottle would be comfort. It may be that when he is older he'll not need the comfort of a bottle, and some moms say that they have no problem removing the bottle in later years, but I never had trouble removing it at one year.

Answer by Bmat at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes, most doctors recommend that you take your child's bottle away after a year. They really don't need it after then because they don't have the need to suck anymore. As far as being a comfort item, it isn't the best one. If milk is in the bottle and being brought to bed that is especially bed, but water is a slightly different story. My aunt is a pediatrician and sees children with rotted teeth all the time. Over use of milk in a bottle can lead teeth to turn gray and rot... it's pretty gross and not uncommon. It can affect the formation of the teeth as well, just as sucking your thumb. Thankfully this won't affect the adult teeth though. Weaning is never an easy process, but it gets better with time. Just keeping trying and trying again.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 10:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It's generally best if they are weaned by about a year. He will learn to drink from a sippy, they all do. My son was just over a year before I found the cup he liked the best and then he really drank out of it. Maybe try a few different cups and see if that might be the problem.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Some kids have a bottle till they're like 3. I personally had my daughter off at 1. She had a passy till right around 2. Personal choice.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Everyone is different. My 2 yr old still takes a 4 oz bottle of water to bed and nap.....been hard weening him. My 13 month old, I am trying it. I have been told to start between 12-18 months, to avoid the obvious problems I am now having with my 25 month old LOL But to me, if this is the worst thing I am dealing with I don't care. My 2 yr old is peeing in the potty and doing other things. I don't believe much in the rotting their mouth thing. My son gets water at night. If he was say drinking milk and leaving the nipple hanging in his mouth I could understand, but...plus he gets his teeth brushed 2x a day. I feel whatever keeps my sanity LOL I'm hoping he decides he is done with it sooner than later. Good luck!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son was on bottles until he was 14 months. I think it's important to start weaning from it so they don't become attached to it as a comfort item (my friend who's son is the same age as mine... 27 months... is STILL on a bottle!)
    With my son, once he started drinking from his sippy cup we only offered that during the day and then at night before his bath he got a bottle... as he became a better drinker we reduced the amount he took until he wasn't much and eventually just stopped offering it unless he asked... after a couple of weeks he was done with it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010