Ever wish you could just quit SMOKING?

I have tried so many times, but always find an excuse that brings me back to it....stress of some sort usually. My mom passed away from lung cancer & that should be reason enough for me to quit....but noooo. What's wrong with me? I want to quit so I can see my kids grow up & watch theirs grow too.

Did you quit? What worked for you? Tried the cold turkey & Welbutrin (spelling?), but obviously neither of those worked & I don't think I can muster up enough will power on my own

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Health

• I think quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was 5 yrs in June since I quit and i still catch myself wanting one. But, then I will look at my kids and I choose their health over the ciggs. I quit cold turkey. I was having problems conceiving and my OB told me to stop smoking before he would give me fertility drugs so i did. Smoked my last cigg night before got up and would not allow myself to go and buy another pack. I even went as far at to make hubby hide my car keys. I slept alot the first week or so and I chewed a lot of gum and mints and then when i found out 6 months later that I was preg it was all worth it. I think you just have to make your mind up and you have to truely want to quit because if you don't then you don't have the willpower. Good luck and stay strong and you CAN do it!!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Chantix has worked for lots of people I know. Not for me though. Also Insurance WONT pay for the prescription only Chantix......If you find something that gets you to quit for good, please let me know. I've tried it all too. Nothing works for me. I guess that makes me weak.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I quit about 8 years ago. I smoked for about 10 years. They didn't have the medications available when I quit. I decided I wanted to start a family and that the smoking had to go and that there was no negotiating it with myself anymore. You kind of have to kick your mind in the butt a little and force yourself to change. It is not easy but you can do it.
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 12:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I KNOW the feeling, tried teh welbutrin (just made cigs taste bland) didnt stop me, took the chantix, BAD dreams! The patch NOOPE! I even quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago it only lasted 11 days and Im back to square one. The only time i quit for 9 months when i was pregnant! And well I cant stay pregnant for the rest of my life LOL! GL and if I find something ANYthing that works i will let u know!
    SavannahMoMHC2

Answer by SavannahMoMHC2 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• haha yes all the time. problem is: i really enjoy it. not the smell or the health issues associated with it but i really like the act of smoking. i hide it from my daughter because i dont want her to do it or think its a good idea when she grows up. Chantix worked for my mom. I havent tried it. i am still in the "i need to" and "one day soon" phases. you are not alone.
    amberlinkous

Answer by amberlinkous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Hubby smoked 3 packs a day for years and got emphysema so bad that he woke up gasping for air. Once the doctor at the hospital told him to either quit or die, he quit cold turkey.
    He smoked menthol cigarettes so he would suck on a Halls menthol cough drop everytime he craved a cigarette. It worked!
    Others I've known to quit picked up another habit, like sucking on peppermint candy, sucking a lollipop, etc..
    Good luck, I know it's tough but keep trying! Try different ways! Eventually you'll find something that works for you! But DETERMINATION helps more than anything!
    Keep in mind that the lung specialist told hubby that the 21st day after you quit will be the day you crave a cigarette the most because it takes that long for the nicotene to get out of your lungs! So try to make it at least 60 days to see if you'll pick it back up! This lady did that and she tried smoking one after 60 days & put it out because it tasted so bad after being nicotene free for 6
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 12:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I am 51 and have been smoking since age 12.Thats 39 years and still counting.I am very addicted and turn into someone I dont recognize if I run out and can't get to any.It is awefull.In every other area of my life,I have been a very strong willed and in control person..but those cigs have me in their grasp big time.Please do whatever you have to do to quit now.The longer you go..the more damage and the harder it is to quit. Good luck.
    meagrandma

Answer by meagrandma at 1:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I too have been smoking since 12 (but 1st drag at 5 or 6). Twelve was my 1st inhale & not just a puff. I'm now 42 and still don't see any end in sight. Hmm, could be my problem. Maybe I need to SEE an end in sight. GOOD LUCK!! Maybe we can try to quit (AGAIN) together. I want to try hypnosis (I hope that's spelled correctly).
    :=)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I've never smoked but my parents did. Both stopped cold turkey.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i'm trying to find a way too..its hard
    unhappymomma

Answer by unhappymomma at 8:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2008