Dealing with teenage stupidity

I learned the other day that my 15-year-old son made a bet with one of his classmates: If she climbed a local water tower, she would be allowed to kick him in the balls. If she “chickened out," she would give him a sexual favor. She ultimately climbed the tower.

I’m disgusted by his chauvinism and his terrible judgment. I know he’s a teen and that teens sometimes do dumb stuff, but the water tower is very high, and climbing it would be dangerous. As a result, I’ve talked with him and have taken away lots of his privileges.

Here's the issue. According to the bet, he’s supposed to take his kick to the balls tomorrow, after school. I’m conflicted. I don’t’ know if I should intervene to prevent the kick from happening, or if I should stay out of it and let nature take its course.

Please give me your thoughts!

CourtneySimm

Asked by CourtneySimm at 3:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• let it hapen, maby a little shock to the sences will make him think twice next time.
    mommy2alissa

Answer by mommy2alissa at 3:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i'd let nature take it's course...if you get into it, then that's total embarrasment for him...if he goes, he may get embarrased for a bit, but there's nothing worse than getting embarrased by your parents than your own stupidity. it's your choice though. my guess is he seriously thought this girl wouldn't do it, which is why he made the bet in the first place. (and probly likes her too.) who knows? maybe she'll be considerite and not do it?? GL with your decision
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That would probably teach him better than you lecturing him. I would let her whack him a good one!!! You might not have grandkids though.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Any kick down their could make him sterile.Even if you intervene the kick might still happen at a later date..So I say stay out of this one...But have a little talk about betting...Good luck

Answer by louise2 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would have a talk with your daughter about what a good kick in the nuts could do to him in the future. Like they said above make him sterile. Of course that would have to be a might hard kick but none the less...Any way you can't make the choice for her but you can help her to make a wise one by giving her all the information. Even if she chooses to kick him maybe she'll go easy at least...BTW I hope this is not going to take place on school grounds because that would open up a whole new set of potential issues...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• well you can't just let her kick him there. That is as silly as letting her pay her end of the bet if she didn't climb the tower. would you say well she should do the favor and learn her lesson I don't think so. This whole thing is about stupid kids betting on dangerous things. What if he was injured seriously like lost a testicle. I would say he should lose his priveledges at home and if he looks stupid to his friends and small so what. You make it worse if you know about dangerous activity and do nothing and almost condone both of their stupid bets.
    Anonymous

• I would let this one play out. You can't be there the every moment to stop it from happening. Stupid and silly bet. While the possibility of serious damage does exist the probability is that she won't actually kick him hard.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 9:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• First of all, Teens are never STUPID! Their brains are not fully devolped yet to really process thoughts. They react without thinking about the reprocussion of the situation. I don't totally agree with the answers here. You should not let this happen. What if she had not climbed the tower all the way would you let them explore the sexual favor. You can not really do anything about the girl because she is not your child. But I would talk to her parents and let them know what is going on. Sex among teens is a real problem. My Daughter got pregnant at 14. She was date raped. It was a kick in the stomach for me. Even though my Grandson is the light of my life. If I could go back I would change a lot. I talked to my daughter about sex and how she should wait and I thought that was enough. But its not. You have to do more than talk to your kids, You have to listen to them to.
    redneckmom777

Answer by redneckmom777 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I actually agree that you should let the kick happen, I also agree that if she hadn't that she SHOULD do what she bet on. I do think that teens make STUPID decisions. redneckmom777 says that they can't make them, hate to disagree, they know what they are saying, but for teens it's more about living in the moment, than caring about reprecautions. He didn't think she would climb the tower, so he would get a blow job, but she did climb the tower and he gets a kick in cahonas, she WAS thinking, and knew that she didn't want to supply the sexual favor. One kick is NOT going to make to your son sterile, trust that he has been hit there before, and it will happen again.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 10:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• She did listen to her son, and that's why she is here asking the question, what should she do. Ultimately the decision is yours, but if you interfere you ARE going to make it worse for your son. All of you (that are advising for her to interfere) seem to have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager in high school??? Yes it's wrong for them to have made the bet, that's part of growing up through, if you let him take the kick you are teaching him that he is RESPONSIBLE for his actions, and that he has to suffer the consequences, next time he might THINK before he makes a bet. Hopefully, you will teach him and guide him to not do something that careless again.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 10:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008