Why on Earth do organic foods cost so much!

On another note. Why is it I can buy hormone free beef for close to the same price as regular but if it is 'organic' beef it again is twice as much? How is a cow organic! lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They actually did a huge investigation on it a few months back on one of the news channels, and they said that there is no difference in regular foods and organic foods. They can cost more because people are gullible and will pay the extra. The FDA has put out guidlines on what pesticides can be used for all produce. Also, they are grown exactly the same. Organic carrots are grown in the ground just like regular carrots. My advise, buy the inexpensive and wash it just the same as the more expensive.
    kristinhise

Answer by kristinhise at 7:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Because people are willing to pay it. The prices will go down when the demand does.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Because it has the word ORGANIC in its name =) and they can get more money for the item
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 2:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Cows that are grassfed, not given any antibiotics and are free to roam in the pasture are organic cows. The food costs more because, for example a farmer doesn't have the space to keep a billion cows in his pasture. The hormone free stuff is just cows that aren't given hormones, the animals are still stacked up on top of eachother and usually covered with feces and are not treated well, that's why there are so many salmonella outbreaks because the feces get into your burger. yum!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I will say I do buy organic meat, milk and eggs. I know where it comes from so I know it's legit. The rest of the prepackaged stuff can be deceiving so I'm staying clear of that from now on..
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Price will go down if demand goes up, but I'm sure there's some extra cost that goes with growing organic, so maybe it would always be a little higher. We try to buy organic when we can, but some weeks I don't feel like we can afford to buy organic only. If more and more people are interested in buying organic, the prices should go down somewhat in theory anyway.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• YOu need to smart shop. I buy 95% organic for myself and my child and it really is not too much.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You buy for 2. I have 4. BIG difference. And here milk is 2.35 for a gallon and 5.98 for organic. That would be around 28 a month on milk alone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• So far I've only been able to buy organic fruits and veggies, and even then not all the time. Grassfed cows are better for you than the others, especially with no hormones but i can't afford the price. Maybe if we ate less meat (as in dropping down to once or twice a week instead of three to four times a week we could. I'm going to continue tweaking my budget until I can afford it, I think.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We eat a mostly organic, whole foods based diet. There are three of us, plus frequent extra teens. We spend $80-90 a week on groceries.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010