Wondering what to do about this

I learned the other day that my 15-year-old son made a bet with one of his classmates: If she climbed a local water tower, she would be allowed to kick him in the balls. If she “chickened out," she would give him a sexual favor. She ultimately climbed the tower.

I’m disgusted by his chauvinism and his terrible judgment. I know he’s a teen and that teens sometimes do dumb stuff, but the water tower is very high, and climbing it would be dangerous. As a result, I’ve talked with him and have taken away lots of his privileges.

Here's the issue. According to the bet, he’s supposed to take his kick to the balls tomorrow, after school. I’m conflicted. I don’t’ know if I should intervene to prevent the kick from happening, or if I should stay out of it and let nature take its course.

Please give me your thoughts!

CourtneySimm

Asked by CourtneySimm at 3:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think you should let nature take its course. He was stupid enough to make the bet, he should be willing to deal with the consequences of a stupid decision =] She probably won't hurt him, anyway. He'll just be in pain for awhile and then he and his friends will laugh about it and get over it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ouch, sucks to be him! I think he should suffer the consequences honestly...even though I know it will be hard for you. Maybe he'll see just how dumb that was, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ouch! I understand your dilemma. My feeling is he's 15 and old enough to understand consequences.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would intervene. I don't think that we should not culturally condone kicking anyone!! Would you intervene if your daughter agreed to let a boy kick you in the boobs or vagina!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I bet if he takes his consequences , he won't do it again. Let him get kicked, if she will do it. You really should let him take care of this himself. I am sure that he knows now how stupid it was to make such a bet. He will not be picked on if you don't intervene. If you do, it could be worse than getting kicked down there.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Even though the natural inclination would be to step in, I think that will only make it worse. Everyone will tease him about his mommy fighting his battles, blah blah and then he will feel the need to prove himself, leading him to do something even more stupid. Kids that age are stupid and mean. Let her kick him. He'll learn his lesson.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Let nature take it's course. Kids will be kids and until they learn, not much you can do. Maybe he'll think twice about making such a bet next time! And definately don't feel bad for him if he's sore for a while :)
    Anonymous

• Pray she's wearing soft-soled shoes...

Intervening would teach him that he doesn't have to remain true to his word, no matter how hard the consequences might be. If he had been stupid enough to bet something life threatening, I'd suggest intervening, but since she kept her end of the bargain and since both what he dared her to do and what he would have collected were reckless and dangerous and could have had life-altering affects for her I really have to say that she deserves her 'kicks' so to speak.

And your son deserves it, too. (I don't mean offense, but I'm thinking her daddy would do something a little worse than kick your son in the privates if he found out about it).
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2008