Is it normal for a cat to try to mate with a dog?

I have a male cat, he's about 6 months old and I have a year old female Lab Mix and he keeps trying to mount her. She stays outside during the day and comes in at night and our cat will sit at the door and meow and meow until she comes in at night. As soon as she comes in, he pounces on her and seriously tries his hardest to mate with her. Of course our Lab Mix gets annoyed with him and growls and snaps at him. I'm afraid she's going to get so annoyed with him she may hurt him. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with something like this. He's driving me crazy with the meowing all. day. long! He just started doing this a few weeks ago when we were visiting my parents. They have a female Daschund and a female Jack Russell Mixed and he kept trying to do the same thing to them! Now he's doing it to our big dog. We have a 13 year old female Boston Terrier, but he isn't bothering her (yet)!

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pets

• My Grandma's dog molested her persian cat and wore all the fur off his (yes HIS) hind quarters! Inter-species sex + homosexual acts! lol
    get your cat fixed. He's crazy horny! My cat used to hump a stuffed cat like crazy all day until we got him fixed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• it's a display of dominance. our female dogs do it to eachother, and my f rattie and m cat trade off every now and then who is on top. It's not because they're horny, lol, it's dominance.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Get both the the dog and cat fixed and a lot of that behavior will stop. But as a pp said, there is a dominance aspect to it, cat is trying to assert his position in the family. One day she will turn around and bite him hard and he will quit doing it. But they will both be much calmer when you get them fixed.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It might be a dominance thing. Or just confusion.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That's one horny cat!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Lol, my cat and dog used to do the same thing.. When my cat was in heat she used to meow constantly and rub up against my FEMALE dog and put her butt like in the dogs face, and then the dog would start humping her like a male dog would do to a female, lol... Crazy..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lol our dog trys it with our cat
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'd also like to add that is isn't fixed and neith is our Lab Mix. But she isn't in heat. I just find it very odd that he would even want to mess with a dog in that way.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lol. He hasn't been humping stuffed animals yet, but he sure is horny! Maybe he thinks he's a dog or thinks our dog is an overly large cat. lol.

We are definitely getting him fixed, just have to save up some money for it. Thanks for your responses.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lol. Too funny!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010