I need your two-pence of perspective

I learned the other day that my 15-year-old son made a bet with one of his classmates: If she climbed a local water tower, she would be allowed to kick him in the balls. If she “chickened out," she would give him a sexual favor. She ultimately climbed the tower.

I’m disgusted by his chauvinism and his terrible judgment. I know he’s a teen and that teens sometimes do dumb stuff, but the water tower is very high, and climbing it would be dangerous. As a result, I’ve talked with him and have taken away lots of his privileges.

Here's the issue. According to the bet, he’s supposed to take his kick to the balls tomorrow, after school. I’m conflicted. I don’t’ know if I should intervene to prevent the kick from happening, or if I should stay out of it and let nature take its course.

Please give me your thoughts!

CourtneySimm

Asked by CourtneySimm at 3:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh wow that is a toughie!! I would intervene because a kick in the balls could be very harmful to him, and could injure him.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with lilymama. I think in this type of situation you should intervene. He could get seriously injured.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 3:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I say let him do it. He made the bet knowing full well the pain he would be in. Not to mention if she didn't climb the tower I bet he would still be getting his "favor" whether you wanted him to or not. What bothers me most is that you're upset that he made her climb the tower, but you're not upset that he was betting for a sexual favor.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have boy's one will be 17 next month, my guess is it's not going to happen, she probably has already figured that out herself just like, she knew when she made the bet that he was not going to get " the favor " more then likely she has already humiliated him by letting everyone know he lost the bet. School kids have their own little community and I'm sure if things get out of hand you will be the first to know. (((((( Hugs )))) Mom things get better when they hit 11th grade I have found out.
    katishome

Answer by katishome at 4:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• if it were me i would talk to the girl and her mom...and no i wouldnt let her kick my son but i would come up with something else that she gets out of it....like he has to make her brownies once a week for a month or something silly she did follow through with the stakes he set
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Rysana that is a great suggestion embarrass him some other way that would be much more long term (except for the not giving you grandkids part) He is responsible to take some kind of "punishment" Do you think she offered "favors" because she does really like him? Or is this just truly a high school thing that sleeping with whomever is acceptable?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I like Ryasana's suggestion as well. Give him another punishment to do for the girl, not a kick in the balls. I really doubt she is going to pull him outside in front of everyone and kick him. What 17 year old girl does that?
    Kalebs_Momma

Answer by Kalebs_Momma at 12:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008