Hyland Teething Tablets recall: is homeopathic not foolproof either?

For the past week I've been using Hyland's Teething Tablets for my lil guy's molar eruptions...and I stumbled upon a recall while studying on the FDA website of a recall issued on October 23, 2010, for this very product! Ugh!!!! I try my darndest to use alternative and homeopathic remedies, steering clear of the orajels, etc, but this is a jilt. Apparently the Belladonna is tends to be relatively toxic, hence, the recall. Then a list of symptoms to look out for. So disappointed with all these recalls...with the cold/flu season upon us, I'm leery about what to use to make my lil guy comfortable! What products do you rely on?

Jam0418

Asked by Jam0418 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used Humphrey's Teething Tablets when my child was teething.

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I saw Humphrey's...and I did an einy meeny miny moe, and landed Hyland's...Humphrey's it is! Ty LuvBug3.
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i used a cool wash rag. i don't trust meds of anykind with little childern unless it's a life or death situation. even with a fever we do a luke warm sponge bath to keep it under control. yes it takes more work then giving fever meds but it still works. like it has for years.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You're welcome! :-)
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Wow, great. I've been using them on and off for a few weeks for my son's teething. thanks for letting me know, I'm going to go look up the recall now.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I just read all about recall and if you go to their site and enter in a few different numbers on the bottle, you can either get a cash refund or a coupon for a free product of one of their items.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Actually, there really isn't anything wrong with the tablets. It's the FDA trying to check them. The amount of tablets one would have to ingest in order to get enough belladonna for a reaction is like every bottle of tablets in the store. So, I wouldn't worry about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I use an amber teething necklace..it had worked really well for both my kids.
    http://www.amber-teething-necklaces.com/
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• This is great info, ladies. Amber teething necklace, I'll have to check out tobys.mommy, oldfashionedSAHM, you're right, old school seems to win the day in the end! BradenisMySon, I, too, was trying to decipher if they wanted to recall it for more research...or is there really a risk, ya know? LovingSAHMommy, ty! Let me go get my coupon, lol!
    Jam0418

Comment by Jam0418 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010