From Two naps to One...

Hello wonderful mommies!

Question: Our 15 month old baby has not taken an afternoon nap since July. At the same time, she is not able to go too long in the morning without a nap. So, she ends up taking a morning nap about 90 minutes in length, sometimes longer, and then about 3 hours later (when I see she's yawning or pulling her ears), I nurse her and put her in her crib. Usually, she alternates between babbling and fussing but never sleeps. I try to keep her in for up to an hour but after that, I take her out and we go on with our day. She's in bed by 6:15 for the night. I guess she's clearly telling us that she's done with 2 naps. However, we can't seem to get her to take her morning nap closer to 11 or 12...it's still around 9 am. I suppose I could try pushing her to her max, going in the car, going out to play, etc etc, but that seems cruel. Should I just leave things as they are and know that eventually they'll change

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try pushing her one nap to a little later in the day to see if she will nap longer. But my 2 year-old rarely naps longer than an hour.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You really need to push her first nap later...it may take a few days to adjust but eventually she will adjust. Good luck.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i would push her to take a nap. i have a 15 month old and she never took 2 naps. she did take about 2 and 3 hour naps, but now she just takes a hour naps a few hours from getting up for the day
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• try waking her up a little later in the morning, then her nap will be a bit later. it takes a few days for her to schedule her self.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• sorry i ment i wouldn't push her to take a nap.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You are in a transition time. I remember that. My son was also 15 months when he dropped 1 nap. She'll straighten out, but it's hard to adjust. I would try to push her to take a later nap in the morning if you can, but it will fix itself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son stopped taking his afternoon nap if he'd slept in the morning around 12 months. He would still get sleepy around his old naptime of 9:30, so we made that into "book time" where we would lay together on the couch and I would read books. Occasionally he would fall asleep so I would give him 1/2 hour to rest and then I would wake him up and go on with our morning. With only 1/2 hour in the morning he would still take his afternoon nap. Gradually he outgrew needing that sleep, but we still have a book time around then so he can rest and regroup for the rest of the morning. Also I moved his afternoon nap up by an hour to right after lunch.

Answer by missanc at 3:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think it's ok trying to fiddle with times a little bit in each direction- pushing things up or back 15-30 minutes. But going much more than that it seems like just interfering with the natural sleep schedule and if you can try to go with what works it is usually so much easier on everyone. Once she has been on one nap for a bit you might find she will nap later in the day, she just may need a little more time to adjust and get into that next groove. I think you're right to give her that rest time in the afternoon, too, even if she doesn't sleep.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Keep her up 15 minutes longer for a few days. Then 15 minutes more for a few more and so on. It will take some tme but you should be able to stretch your mornings out longer. You are doing the right thing by at least having a quiet time for what would be the second nap for now. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• totally normal!! My DS did the EXACT same thing...he was taking an AM nap until he was 22 months @ 9:30-12:30 and in bed by 6...eventually he was able to swing it longer before a nap...the evenings at 6 were fabulous...enjoy it becaus now that he naps @ 1 he doesn't go to sleep until 8...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010