NOT celebrating Halloween....What do kids say?

If you were to told that your child won't be dressing up for Halloween anymore....What would it be your child's reaction?

and no more Trick or Treating either

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Had this discussion with my dad a while back. My sister does not celebrate because traditionally Halloween was the devil's night - a night the demons came out before All Saint's Day on the 1st. Ok - I get it, but I don't agree. WE don't celebrate the evil stuff. My kids dress up in fun things and go trick or treating. That's it. When i was a kid I dressed up and trick or treated. It was fun and I LOVE going with my kids now. But my dad doesn't necessarily agree and asked why I would celebrate a holiday that was evil. I told him the same thing - we don't "celebrate" the evil. We just have fun. Call it a fall festival if you must, but my kids go in our neighborhood to places my husband went when he was a kid. We both love watching them and I could never take the fun and joy and excitement away from them. They are ALWAYS safe, ALWAYS with us and fun is had by all!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my parents wouldn't let us celebrate holloween as children. they didnt believe in it and refused to let us believe in it either for religious purposes. I remember being very angry and looking out the window at all the other kids and watching them wishing we went :( but as i grew older, i'll probably have done the same thing.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've never really understood the correlation between Halloween and religion. It never once crossed my mind as a child or an adult that I was doing something sinful by Trick or Treating.

My children would have been very disappointed had they not been allowed to participate. And DH and I would have missed out on some great times getting their costumes ready.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• lech, fearful things like what? A virgin having a baby scared the crap out of me for sure! At 11 when I started my period I would worry if I was 1 day late(of course got over it in a few months as I got older) because I thought god picked me to carry his child. Yeah nothing to fear about THAT! LOL
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I will let her dress up anyway! I won't hurt her feelings and take away something she loves.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 3:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would never take that away from my child!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would never tell my child that except religious reasons that i would instill from birth so no wouldn't ever do that! Why would any parent do that to a kid?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That doesn't happen here. It didn't happen when I was a kid or when my kids were young. We celebrate Halloween. WHy not? It is fun!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my children would be fine with it...bc we dnt celebrate halloween...we believe that fearful things is not of the Lord.....we have a fall festival around the same time and they get to dress up play games and eat all the candy and treats they want ....SAFELY
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I never seen Halloween as something sinful or wrong. It has always been and always will be my family's favorite holiday. Why? Because it is the one holiday where we all get together as a family, get dressed up, and still have a good time. We don't have to buy gifts or stress out. Every other holiday has turned into some huge commercial advertisement and only focuses on who can get the most gifts. Why take the one holiday away that doesn't do that, but still lets you get together as a family, stress free, and have fun?
    Jacobismommy

Answer by Jacobismommy at 7:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010