How do you cook a whole chicken? Do you have a good recipe? NO this is not a joke for those that may think it is.

I have one in my freezer and would like to cook it soon. Will a crock pot work? I have not ever cooked a whole chicken before.

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can cook it in a crock pot. Thaw the chicken and rinse it well. Put it in the crock-pot with about a cup or cup and a half of water, some salt and pepper, and cook it on low until it is tender. For added flavor, you can add a chopped or sliced onion and some pieces of celery.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Crock pots wok great.

Do you have a charcoal/gas grill? If so, you can make a beer-in-the-rear. It is amazing!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/beer-in-the-rear-chicken-recipe/index.html

I season with a season-all salt, worcestershire sauce, louisiana hot sauce, garlic salt, onion powder/salt and chop up a whole onion (green center and all) and put it in the can of beer. This was so good, DH and I made a second one three days later! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• place in roasting pan, smear with butter & your favorite spices, pour a can of chicken broth on it, place in 425-450 oven, uncovered, for about half hour, to crisp the outside and seal all the juices in. Add your favorite veggies (we usually do carrots, potatoes and onions, cut into big chunks) turn down heat to 350 or so, cover and bake for another 1.5-2 hours. The chicken will melt off the bone. It is soooo good!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Buy a turkey/chicken roasting bag! It's the easiest and tastiest way to cook a whole chicken (or turkey).
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i only use my crockpot to cook a whole chicken. just throw it in there and pour some bbq sauce over it, let it cook for 4-6 hours and that thing will be so tender it will literally fall apart on you! enjoy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• please get a basic cookbook. Either purchase or from the library and learn some cooking basics. or use google
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6603_roast-chicken.html
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010