anyone have a child with asthma but was first diagnosed with RAD?

or Restrictive Airway Disease.

My 22 mo. old was diagnosed with this Monday night at the ER. She was having retractions/wheezing and I took her in and she was admitted for a day. They said this is what they call it (RAD) when they don't want to call it Asthma just yet. They did say though that if she gets hospitalized again for it they will call it asthma. She's on albuterol every 4-6 hours and pulmicort now twice daily when it was just once up until today. Also a steroidal liquid for her lungs.

My question is, if your child every had RAD did it ever get to the point of asthma or was the RAD controlled on the breathing meds? How do you cope with the frustration as a parent when you give the treatments as prescribed and the doctor listens and the wheezing/rattling in the chest STILL hasn't cleared? I'm worried about my sweet baby :( I feel terrible that breathing doesn't come easy like it does for the rest of us.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NOT PERSONALLY but my niece was. Her parents found that there were alot of triggers in their home carpets, molds, harsh chemicals and a smoking by a neighbor. This is something that is caused by genetics, allergies, air pollution, smoking during pregnancy, pre-term delivery. etc. Try looking up triggers for asthma and see if this helps to remove the things that might affect your child. Aja is now 5 going on 6 and with this kind of home free from possible triggers she does not have these issues. She is allergric to cats but has a really active and normal life. Hope this helps and good luck.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 11:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2010