Am I being a hypocrite?

I am becoming avery spiritual person. I have strong beliefs, though I would NEVER push them onto someone else. I feel that we are each supposed to be in charge of our beliefs and something so personal as religion and spirituality should be left up to each of us to decide for our own. That being said, I would be absolutely delighted to have a life partner who is also very spiritual. I don't need our spiritual beliefs to be identical but there are some things that I know I would delight in if we shared. Is it wrong for me to want to wait to get married until I find someone who I connect with on a spiritual level? Am I wrong for wanting that attribute in my partner when I don't believe that we should impose our beliefs on to anyone? If I were to meet a great guy, but he lacked spirituality--I would keep him in my life, because I think its totally ok to not be spiritual-- we can be friends,but that's it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It would be wrong for you to marry someone who did NOT share your spiritual beliefs.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 12:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No this does not make you a hypocrate, but it will limit your choices in men in general, there are many atributes a man can have that make you as happy, and if and when you fall in love with someone who might not be as spiritual as you would want them to be, you might change your mind.

Answer by older at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, because you're not pushing your beliefs on someone. You're simply looking for someone who can share a precious part of your life with you.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think you are. If that portion of your life is very important to you then you should find someone who feels likewise.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, you should find someone you can be happy with, not somone you want to change. By finding a man who has your same values you are doing that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i think you're doing the right thing. I would do the very same.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No, I don't think so.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think you are being hypocritical when it comes to finding a mate. If you refused to befriend or associate with anyone who didn't share your views then I might answer differently, but marrying someone is a huge, lifelong committment and you will likely have a happier marriage if you share core values with that person. So I think your thought process makes sense.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think you should have similar beliefs and if you are living your life based on your beliefs then it is wise to pic a hubby who believes inthe same things. Have faith and pray for God to prepare your mate as he is preparing you. It will work out. Dont go on dates with a checklist but dont settle either. Having similar beliefs is a very good thing to look for..its being stuck on blues eyes or somehting that is rediculous in my opinion.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010