Do you think that video games rot kids brains? Girls are now out performing boys in Math and Science, I believe it's because of video games.

prettybaby1

Asked by prettybaby1 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No,bad parenting does

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• video games in moderation are not the issue. ANYTHING can be over done and cause a child to fall behind in studies. Even sports or pleasure reading. Video games do not rot brains. Lack of self control rots brains.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope, I buy my kids educational video games and if they have any effect on my kids it's postive. There have been more programs to encourage girls in math and science, it sounds like they are working.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well a teacher told me that there are studies that suggest kids have a hard time focusing because of school work isn't exciting as video games
    prettybaby1

Comment by prettybaby1 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• really because my girls play video games and are both honor role students and excel in lots of ways. it helps with hand eye coordination to. of course it is in moderation just like everything else in life. i dont believe its the video game playing that rots thier brains but maybe the bad parenting of allowing your kids to not become well rounded individuals.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my son use to be very smart in elementary/middle school and the first 2 years of highschool and is now struggling in college. He told me today that he has a hard time studying and thinks that there is something wrong with him, I think it has a lot to do with the video games
    prettybaby1

Comment by prettybaby1 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I believe girls are doing better because it is now recognized that they are able to achieve in these areas. Girls are given the opportuinity and they are stepping up to the plate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My Dh scored an almost perfect score on the SAT's earn he was a Junior and never took it a second time. He was an avid video game player his whole life from Atari to X-Box. His whole family was, mom and dad included. In fact his dad owned the very first pong game. Did I mention he is a very successful man as well? I think the fact high schools do not prepare kids for College. WHOLE new ball game. Your son is a very smart person I am sure. But High school and College are done in totally different teaching styles and require a whole new level of 'home work' and study.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I also disagree with you on this. My dd plays video games and I can actually think of some benefits to it. 1-They are not just mindlessly watching tv for hours, instead they are using their mind to problem-solve the game just like any other game. 2-It does help with hand-eye coordination and helps with reaction time. 3-It was always something that we would do together, which created a bond between us as parent/child and created "quality" time where we also talked about subjects I don't think we would have in just everyday situations. 4-They have so many educational video games that are used as tools to reach children. Not just teens but young children of all ages.
    I think it's an outdated notion that video games rot the brain. As for our daughters, it just might be that they are being finally recognized for the brilliant capable girls they are!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think too much video games and not enough good parenting and homework studies rots brains along with some other choice extra-curricular activities. Video games can help teach hand eye coordination. . .and help with ADD and ADHD kids.
    A big study problem when it comes to higher grades and college is due to attention deficit and concentrations problems. . . Remove distractions and make the studying fun. . . that should help!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010