Missing school for softball...

WE got in the debate at work because one of my co-worker grandchildren are all out of school today- possibly Tues. for The oldest son (15) and daughter (13) to be in Softball/baseball playoffs out of state. The younger children (10&6) were also pulled for school for this trip. Some women were saying that the priorities of the parent were out of whack. Sports before school. Others were saying that the leagues priorities were off. Some said it shouldn't be an issue if the kids grades were on track... what do you think. Is it okay to miss 3-4 days if school for sports?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• if grades were good and great attendance thus far i say ok
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That would be a tough decision cause you don't want your kid to miss out on this oppurtunity and someone needs to go with him. But the other kids should stay in school. In my case, I would send my husband with him and I would stay at home with the rest of the kids. But everyone's situation is different.
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 4:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't put sports before school, but I know plenty of public schools just don't care. Sports seem to be the one extra circular that can have a huge budget and do little to nothing for academics.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It would depend on a lot if things. But if I had 2 children in playoff games, then I would probably pull the other 2 out of school. You never know when they will get a chance like that again and I wouldn't want to miss it.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It is not a school league. It's a traveling team for the state. They have made it to division or something. lol. I personally would not allow my kids to miss school for sports if there grades were not B+ or better. The younger ones would be in school.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sorry, but my kids don't miss school for non-school sponsored activities.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Way back in the day...I missed school for sports. However, my grades were excellent. I would let my children miss school for sports, especially if they showed promise and of course, made up their schoolwork. Athletics are an excellent source for confidence-building, teaching teamwork, and how to win and lose graciously....all important life skills. Children in athletics are shown to be more likely to stay in school, and less likely to "experiment" elsewhere.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would not let my children do that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• we as parents some of us think school first and sports second but there are parents that think sports comes first no matter what ,my kids would been in school no matter what
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010