How many gifts

do you like to have for your child to open on Christmas day? Gifts from you and santa combined. My dd is 8 and I have a budget but I want her to have about 15 or so to open. She is an only child, not sure if that makes a difference but I'm sure its easier to only have to buy for 1 kid.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• We did 12 for each kid last year, not counting the stocking stuffers.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm at about 12 to 13 now and getn close on the budget. I warned her that the older she gets the smaller the pile gets because her gifts cost more. I just love to see the pile in the living room but she doesnt need filler junk. I will go with the special gifts in a smaller pile I guess..sigh!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I like for my kids to have a total of 2 or 3 wrapped gifts from Mommy and Daddy and from each other. Santa doesn't wrap at our house, so they'll also have one unwrapped gift from Santa and some stocking stuffers. So they end up with 3 or 4 gifts and some stocking stuffers.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Hun whatever works for your family is great. I grew up getting about 20 gifts under the tree and my kids get roughly the same. We don't go into debt, our kids aren't spoied rotten and we simply LOVE being BIG with Christmas gifts for the kids.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• as many as i can afford
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have never gon into debt over Christmas but I have a tendency to get out of hand lol. this year i'm trying to stick to a budget and it sucks! I know she doesnt need too much and I'm trying to be realistic but I love wrapping and stacking under the tree. She isnt a greedy kid but I just love getting carried away with Christmas. I guess I just dont want this year to be a disappointment since I'm trying to keep it more realistic this year.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well even look on places like craigslist....one of the gifts we got my son for his birthday was a used free standing basketball net. We got it for a great price and he loves it. This year for christmas we are getting him a used air hockey table...hoping to find one that is one of those all in one tables with pool and such, but if it's just air hockey thats okay.

I'm selling more on ebay than usual for extra holiday cash and wealways adopt a family and I get him involved with picking out gifts for others and baking cookies for local shelters and such.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• From us/santa about 12-15, then grandma about 3-4. Sometimes she gets the gifts and I wrap them so I can have them under the tree christmas morning, as she dosnt get her till mid day.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Mine get about 10 things each, and that is plenty for them :) It really depends on how expensive their "wants" are that year though. Like last year, my oldest wanted his own Xbox 360. Well that's like $280 on sale, so some of his presents were super cheap, like books lol. We always make sure they have the same amount to open (I mean each kid has the same amount of gifts), because we take turns opening presents and they don't like it if one runs out way before the others lol. We have 3 kids though so we can't afford to spend a fortune and our tree already has 40 presents or so under it every year!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• A stocking with a bunch of small gifts, and maybe 3 or 4 bigger gifts.

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010