Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does the Military keep pictures of Soldiers from the 40s or 50s

My grandfather reciently died and I have no photo or anything to remember him, so I was woundering since he was in the Military is it possible they have some kind of offical picture of something, if so is it possible to recieve a copy and how does one go about requesting one


Asked by Taylor82 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Level 3 (15 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • My fiance is in the Army he said they should if he reached the rank of Sargent (E5) or higher but then again there upkeep with documents in that time period was not good. If you would like to try and get a picture of him he said the only places that should still uphold a copy would be your local V.A. hospital in your state or the state he was from if there different otherwise you can try HRC (Human Resources Command) . . my fiance says to try this number it may be wrong but it's worth a shot 317-699-3735 or 317-510-3735. If anything they will give you an exact answer on how to get it, that's where they keep the records for the army. If he was in a different branch they can give you the number's to the other branch's record keepers. Hope we could help =)

    Answer by ah2590 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • they normally keep it in their file or for how to get one, i have no idea.

    Answer by armywife43 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • i've been wondering the same thing for nearly the same reason. i know the army has an historical museum (, but i haven't had much luck there. let me know if you find something. i'd like to search for my own grandfather (who served in wwii).

    Answer by mandilovell at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • try

    Answer by figaro8895 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • I think there's a museum in New York dedicated to veterans of the armed forces.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 4:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • They do have files on military veterans. You would have to contact the office of veteran affairs.

    Answer by Scorpio359 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008