Has anybody ever read Anne Rice's "Memnoch the Devil", and if so, what did you think?

Personally (and keep in mind, I'm an atheist), I think her version of how the devil and hell developed made a lot of sense... More sense than "God is perfect, the devil is evil, and if you're a "sinner", you go to hell, tough titty for you".

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well, that is your opinion. And, here's mine. I don't agree with that at all. I don't read Ann Rice, personally. Nothing against her, I just never had any interest in her books.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Isn't that part of her Witches series? I read it years ago. I'd have to read it again to talk about it.

But I do know I love her vision of witches and vampires! :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Jaycietaylorgma, my opinion is actually that the devil doesn't exist, I just thought her interpretation was very interesting... Actually, you might like her latest books, she "returned to Catholicism" after her husband died, and for a while only wrote religious books. Not my cup of tea, so I kind of stopped reading them, but you might like them :)

Roadfamily6now, it wasn't part of the Witches series, it was actually part of the Vampire one. I love her books (well, her old books, not fond of the whole Jesus/God/Angel trip she's been on lately), but I've HATED all the movie adaptations, heh.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry Anouck. I misread how you had wrote that. I meant no disresepct. Oh, she's the author. I do remember reading about her now. I might in fact check some of her books out. Thanks for the heads up. :-)
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Is she the one that wrote "Interview with the Vampire?"
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That's the one! I actually read two of her religious books, one about Jesus as a kid, and an angel one, and they were interesting, but definitely much more geared towards religion than her previous books.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh, ok, I will check those out. Thanks. I didn't realize she was writing Christian books, now.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yeah, she was actually raised as a strict Catholic, and you can kind of see some of those influences in her earlier books. Her husband was, as she described it, an "committed atheist", and I suppose she just slowly turned away from Catholicism. After he died though, apparently she had a bit of a revelation and decided to dedicate all her work from then on to God. I believe I read an article a little while ago that while she still remains religious, she will return to writing non-religious books, too.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm an Anne Rice fan. Memnoch iis teh 5th book in the Vampire Chronicles series. You really have to read the whole series to get the full story.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I disagree with you on that one, specialwingz. Yes, you need to read the whole series to really understand Lestat's motivation and way of thinking, but I'm talking ONLY about Memnoch's explanation about why hell was created, what its purpose is, and what his own story is, and you can get all of that from reading just that book. I think the story itself is complete enough to stand on its own, rather than just be part of the series....
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010