Tips on how to stop a tantrum for 2 1/2 yr old

If he is having fun or running away from me I try and tell him to come to me or stop the fun cause we have to go in the car and go home he literally melts down and drops to the floor. I have one hand on him and I am dragging him out and he is screaming. He is back arching while I am getting him strapped in his carseat. After 3 min down the road he is normal again so the tantrums don't last but its the transition that is horrible!!! How do I get him to leave the fun or listen to me without a big fight every 5 minutes?

mamma2bubba

Asked by mamma2bubba at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Light his rear end up as soon as you get home after he throws one of his fits and let him know you'll do it again. Be consistent and don't let him continue to manipulate you. Between my 2 kids they have thrown a grand total of ONE, that's right ONE tantrum, because the first and only time my oldest one did it, he learned his lesson. Kids behave how you expect them to behave and if you expect him to throw a fit because "that's just what kids do" then you are encouraging his behavior and it will only get worse. Give him a 5 minute warning, "We're leaving the park in 5 minutes" and stick to your word. If he acts up, then he gets a spanking. If you're consistent, he'll stop.
    Anonymous

• Hey girl, I have to do the whole. We are leaving in 5 minutes, we are leaving in 3 minutes, 2-1 minute. Then I go. I give them like a time frame and they usually cooperate. Then I say, bye and head for the door. They usually paniac and realize you are not joking. Thats what I do, this is at friends houses, if you are talking public place. Don't take him and make a big production out of you can't take him because of his bad behavior. I know a pain but they don't like missing out so if you stick to your guns it will work. Good Luck.
    TJKUHN76

Answer by TJKUHN76 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Try the 5 minutes, 2 mintues, 1 mintue idea. Reinforce it with a timer. Yes, carring a timer around with you in public can be a pain but they do make small ones. ALWAYS leave when the timer goes off, he will learn that the timer is "law". Never, never do "1 more minute" after the timer goes off. If he asks BEFORE the timer goes off, you can consider it, but never after.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ok, I have never done the 5 min, 3 min 2-1 min...time to go now thing. I will def try it. And I wlll look for a small timer. He is visual so maybe the timer will be even that much more effective. He is just SO stubborn and wants to be very independent. Its overwhelming at times. I am not opposed to spanking as long as he gets it and I am not doing it everyday with no end in sight. I don't want to spank everyday ya know. To make a point if nothing else is working I don't mind it one bit.
    mamma2bubba

Answer by mamma2bubba at 7:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008