Out of control

My 5 year old just won't behave at all at school. He curses, rips up paper, screams, throws stuff, hits, spits and even acts like a tiger. I have tried punishment in the corner, taking toys away, taking tv time away, the good/bad chart, talking, hitting him, awarding him, etc. I am out of ideas here and about to send him with his grandmother due to his behavior. I really don't want to but I just can't control him. I'm even taking him to get a mental eval. I'm trying to be a good mom to him without hurting him but my mental health is bad. Any ideas as to how I can correct his behavior? Did anyone have this problem. Please help me!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First, I would take all sugar out of his diet. No candy, no juice (just water and milk) not even sugared cereal. Then, I would take him to a Dr to see if maybe he has something else going on besides just "bad behavior"
    (Note, I have no kids of my own not a dr, this is just my own opinion.)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yikes, don't send him to your moms. She won't be able to handle him any more than you and she probably doesn't deserve that. I would definitely follow the advice as given to you above. I had a friend who's son was absolutely awful. She turned him around 100% by simply changing his diet. There are some excellent books full of the ideas you need for natural food.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• take a deep breath - I agree with monitoring his diet better - no sugars or dyes like Red 40 is a big one...
    I would agree with also getting a medical evaluation done.don't give up on your child. you are his biggest advocate.. trust that he has no control of these reactions if you don't think its your parenting - this is YOUR child and not your mothers child - an over night here and there would be good to give yourself a break if you feel you are losing it - also hitting only reinforced HIM Hitting also so try to avoid agressive behavior if he is showing agressive behavior...he's probably resorting to it as a learned tool of frustration/anger feelings.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Is he getting enough sleep?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How does he act at home? You mentioned his behavior at school, but I am wondering how he acts at home.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 1:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with the no sugar rule. I notice how crazy my daughter gets when I let her have too much sugar. It never seemed to do anything to my son but with her, it just makes her kind of mean. I would also talk to his doctor about it and see what they have to say.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Put him in sports. My daughter acts out after weve had a stressful day, she plays her drums or we do something to get out all the extra energy out, walking, bike rides swim etc.
    Be consistant with your rules and discipline, sometimes it takes a month to see positive results. When he acts naughty, you should walk away. Only give him attention when hes good. That will also give you a moment to calm down and not beat the shit out of him!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• His behavior should have consequenses that are clear and consistent...acting out at school = no____________ (whatever). priveledges return after______ days of no ____________. If you stick to it now, it will be set for later. Dr Rosenberg (child psychiatrist) has some good article on this type of thing that totally make sense--it is so hard to come up with something or see anything reasonable when you are in that situation!! You are doing a good job, walk away if you have to. The thing that worked with my kids is my attitude that "because you did this---this is now gone" no fights, no whining, no buts. it is just how it is---and now what do we do for dinner? Just matter of fact, drop the drama, no attention on the issue any longer. Move on with the rest of the day, and if he wants to scream about it--he can do that in his room.
    keepswimming

Answer by keepswimming at 9:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• tough love is all i can suggest... reward good behavior, deal with poor behavior... and do the best you can mama.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010